hydro assist is slow

userbmx1315

builds more then wheels
Been trying to get my jeep ready, but driving it around the neighborhood it's fine. I'd like for it to be faster. I can sit in one spot or even moving and it doesn't change. If I try to turn left to right fast it doesn't respond fast.
It's a 97 XJ
stock drilled and tapped box
wj pump.
No name brand ram. It's kinda small.
I don't want to buy a kit after putting this together but if I must, I'll credit card it.

What size ram? Is it just left to right? Which way is the ram mounted? Extending when turning right or left? Did you mod the pump?

A single ended ram will turn slower one direction vs the other because of the shaft taking up piston surface area. The smaller the rams diameter (not shaft diameter but the inside of the cylinder) the quicker it'll be but less power.

Make sure the ram hoses are not flip flopped. Causes the box and ram to fight each other. Also if you have not done so, pull the high pressure port out of the pressure side of the pump and drill to 3/16". No larger or it becomes to good (there is such a thing).

the ram is like 1.5x5/8.
the wj pump has been drilled out, cant remember the size.
the hoses are correct, trust me, ive already blew a brand new ram up.
it drives fine around the hood, just when i was driving thru the yard and trying to dodge trees in my yard wasnt easy.

This was my only complaint about my hydro assist setup (1.5" ram, 5/8"ish shaft). Worked fine during regular driving, but trying to quickly change directions you will end up fighting it. I nearly got in a wreck because I changed lanes from a stop, so I had to turn right to get out of the lane, and then quickly turn back left. Ended up going over 2 lanes instead of 1 because it wouldn't turn back left fast enough.

Mine will steer as quick as I can turn it with 1.5x8 ram with a 1" shaft, but my 78 truck is like 4 turns lock to lock the jeep is probably three. That would explain the difference.

Mine will steer as quick as I can turn it with 1.5x8 ram with a 1" shaft, but my 78 truck is like 4 turns lock to lock the jeep is probably three. That would explain the difference.
Same as I use sounds like. 1.5x8x1 surplus center. I use a YJ box which is 3.5:1 (?) I should know this but I can't remember. Mine also has PSC high performance pump for LS application and its amazing. As quick as I like to steer anyways.

Last edited:
Same as I use sounds like. 1.5x8x1 surplus center. Live those things! I use a YJ box which is 3.5:1 (?) I should know this but I can't remember. Mine also has PSC high performance pump for LS application and its amazing. As quick as I like to steer anyways.
Yep. Same ram with the welded on heims. I'm running a modded p pump from a Chevy van on a custom bracket in my ford. I read somewhere that the 94 ish Chevy 1 ton vans had some of the highest flowing pumps. Mine will turn 42s on concrete as fast as I can turn the wheel. Its a little weak bound up in rocks with only the 1.5" ram but I occasionally drive the truck to work so I sacrificed power for speed.

Yep. Same ram with the welded on heims. I'm running a nodded p pump from a Chevy van on a custom bracket in my ford. I read somewhere that the 94 ish Chevy 1 ton vans had some of the highest flowing pumps. Mine will turn 42s on concrete as fast as I can turn the wheel. Its a little weak bound up in rocks with only the 1.5" ram but I occasionally drive the truck to work so I sacrificed power for speed.
A lot of that is leverage too. How the ram mounts to the steering. My tie rod is mounted in the factory gm knuckle holes and use every centimeter of the 8" throw. Also my overall ratio is dead on 1:1 between pitman arm length and knuckle. Only once have i felt it hesitate but considering I was wedged between 3 rocks and a tree trying to dig into an undercut ledge, something had to give. :lol:

Mines in the factory ford knuckle holes. Ratio on mines damn close to 1:1 but my truck weighs 6500# so it takes some grunt to push that if the rock won't move! [emoji3]

^^ lol yeah good point!

And @userbmx1315 , if you did as good of a job drilling and tapping your current box as you did the YJ box I bought from you (which I'm using right now), that eliminates any issues in the box.
;)

Back