Who would you call to finish a rig?

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
My Jeep will never get finished if it is left up to me. I finally got fed up enough to call one well known and respected builder MANY months or more back only to find out he was getting out. Then I didn't do squat. Today I called another very well known and respected builder only to find out that as of today he is backed up through the end of the year. Who would you call to finish your rig if you were ready to 'call the man'. I would prefer less than 2 hours from Greensboro. For some reason I find it hard to do this. It feels like failure.

Do you enjoy building or wheeling?
That answers your last question.
I struggled with the same with finishing off my mustang now 8 years ago. I can tell you I have never, not once, had a moments regret with the choice.

If I were in your shoes there is only 1 person I'd call, and I assume he is one of the two you called, and that's Chris Marshall

Do you enjoy building or wheeling?
That answers your last question.
I struggled with the same with finishing off my mustang now 8 years ago. I can tell you I have never, not once, had a moments regret with the choice.

If I were in your shoes there is only 1 person I'd call, and I assume he is one of the two you called, and that's Chris Marshall
I definitely don't enjoy the building as much as I use to. I haven't wheeled in 8 years, and would like to finish this Jeep and take my son wheeling.

For some reason I find it hard to do this. It feels like failure.
Agree. I made the call last week, then waffled on 4 weeks out (But I do have an event I want to make in June and it probably wasn't going to be ready) and when I called back, someone else had committed so I was more weeks out! lol
But I jumped in hard this weekend and made a splash. It's not failure, it's life. Get your rig done however you need to so you can enjoy it.

I definitely don't enjoy the building as much as I use to. I haven't wheeled in 8 years, and would like to finish this Jeep and take my son wheeling.
Just come borrow mine. It works but I never use it.

Depending on your timeline, I may or may not be the right one to talk to.
I have a full time job, and do the “offroad stuff” on the side. I enjoy it. I’ve currently got 2 in the shop, one outside and another 2 in the wings.
What needs to be done? Do you just need a jump start to get you back in the swing of it, or are you looking turn key?

There are many talented fabricators in our area, all of whom are worth their salt and their calendars reflect that.

Depending on your timeline, I may or may not be the right one to talk to.
I have a full time job, and do the “offroad stuff” on the side. I enjoy it. I’ve currently got 2 in the shop, one outside and another 2 in the wings.
What needs to be done? Do you just need a jump start to get you back in the swing of it, or are you looking turn key?

There are many talented fabricators in our area, all of whom are worth their salt and their calendars reflect that.
I will pm you tomorrow with some details. Thanks.

I wouldn't hesitate to call PJ at M&M.
PJ is awesome, but the last time I spoke to him about schedule, he was so booked he wasn't really taking anything else on.

As far as the rest, Justin, Chris, Cutler...You can't go wrong with any of those fellers, just truly depends on who can get to you in the time you find reasonable. But like Richard said, this is no failure. Even the best can find it difficult to go out in the garage and find motivation.

Hell, depending on what I've got going on, I choose the easy route a lot of the times and take my truck to Andys in Kvegas for an oil change instead of spending the time to do it in my shop.

@drkelly what all do you need done? I think depending on what you need done, could possibly determine who to recommend.

@MarsFab is much more interested in doing fab work than electrical/wiring or mechanical work.
I need a lot done. This is the list I created.

Jeep work to be done:

Front axle:

• Weld passenger spring perch to axle tube
  • Install diff cover and fill with fluid
Front suspension:
  • Weld spring hangers to frame
  • Cut shock hoops to length and weld to frame
  • Weld lower shock mounts to axle housing
  • Mount shocks
Rear axle:
  • Weld spring perches to axle tube
  • Install diff cover and fill with fluid
Rear suspension:
  • Weld spring hangers to frame
  • Weld lower shock mounts to axle housing
  • Mount shocks
  • Build traction bar (Have Barnes kit and some custom made parts, rear axle mounts done)
  • Finish building traction bar crossmember (Have parts)
Fuel system:

Mount fuel filter and connect remaining lines after welding spring hanger to frame

Cooling system:
  • Finish building mounting system for radiator (Griffin combo unit with radiator, shroud and fans)
  • Wire up electric fans
  • Install radiator hoses and fill system (need to buy hoses/parts for this)
Steering:
  • Drill and tap steering box for hydro assist
  • Plumb hydro assist lines from box to ram

Driveshafts:
  • Get front driveshaft lengthened
  • Install front driveshaft
Skid plate:

Fabricate a flat skid plate and install

Brakes:
  • Install 1 ton master cylinder
  • Install new brake lines at all four corners and to and on rear axle
  • Bleed system
  • Rear calipers might need replacement (they are old, standard 14 bolt swap kit stuff)
Tub/body:

Build new sheet metal floor around transfer case where cut for clearance due to raised TC

Seats:
  • Build seat mounts
  • Install seats
  • Build mounts for harnesses
  • Install harnesses
Exhaust system:

Build new exhaust system from header all the way back to clear front driveshaft (really need new header due to multiple cracks)

I took the time to compile some estimates for how long it would take me to do these things.

Jeep work to be done:How long I think it will takeHow Long it will actually take
(minutes)(hours)
Front axle:
Weld passenger spring perch to axle tube
5​
5​
Install diff cover and fill with fluid
10​
10​
Front suspension:
Weld spring hangers to frame
30​
30​
Cut shock hoops to length and weld to frame
60​
60​
Weld lower shock mounts to axle housing
20​
20​
Mount shocks
10​
10​
Rear axle:
Weld spring perches to axle tube
20​
20​
10​
10​
Rear suspension:
30​
30​
20​
20​
Mount shocks
10​
10​
Build traction bar (Have Barnes kit and some custom made parts, rear axle mounts done)
90​
90​
Finish building traction bar crossmember (Have parts)
90​
90​
Fuel system:
Mount fuel filter and connect remaining lines after welding spring hanger to frame
15​
15​
Cooling system:
Finish building mounting system for radiator (Griffin combo unit with radiator, shroud and fans)
60​
60​
Wire up electric fans
20​
20​
Install radiator hoses and fill system (need to buy hoses/parts for this)
45​
45​
Steering:
Drill and tap steering box for hydro assist
60​
60​
Plumb hydro assist lines from box to ram
60​
60​
Driveshafts:
Get front driveshaft lengthened
30​
30​
Install front driveshaft
10​
10​
Skid plate:
120​
120​
Brakes:
Install 1 ton master cylinder
45​
45​
Install new brake lines at all four corners and to and on rear axle
120​
120​
Bleed system
5​
5​
Rear calipers might need replacement (they are old, standard 14 bolt swap kit stuff)
20​
20​
Tub/body:
Build new sheet metal floor around transfer case where cut for clearance due to raised TC
120​
120​
Seats:
Build seat mounts
120​
120​
Install seats
15​
15​
Build mounts for harnesses
120​
120​
Install harnesses
15​
15​
Exhaust system:
Build new exhaust system from header all the way back to clear front driveshaft (really need new header due to multiple cracks)
180​
180​
TOTAL

Last edited:
Tim Odell Vice offroad

I took the time to compile some estimates for how long it would take me to do these things.

Jeep work to be done:How long I think it will takeHow Long it will actually take
(minutes)(hours)
Front axle:
Weld passenger spring perch to axle tube
5​
5​
10​
10​
Front suspension:
30​
30​
Cut shock hoops to length and weld to frame
60​
60​
20​
20​
Mount shocks
10​
10​
Rear axle:
Weld spring perches to axle tube
20​
20​
10​
10​
Rear suspension:
30​
30​
20​
20​
Mount shocks
10​
10​
Build traction bar (Have Barnes kit and some custom made parts, rear axle mounts done)
90​
90​
Finish building traction bar crossmember (Have parts)
90​
90​
Fuel system:
15​
15​
Cooling system:
Finish building mounting system for radiator (Griffin combo unit with radiator, shroud and fans)
60​
60​
Wire up electric fans
20​
20​
Install radiator hoses and fill system (need to buy hoses/parts for this)
45​
45​
Steering:
Drill and tap steering box for hydro assist
60​
60​
Plumb hydro assist lines from box to ram
60​
60​
Driveshafts:
Get front driveshaft lengthened
30​
30​
Install front driveshaft
10​
10​
Skid plate:
120​
120​
Brakes:
Install 1 ton master cylinder
45​
45​
Install new brake lines at all four corners and to and on rear axle
120​
120​
Bleed system
5​
5​
Rear calipers might need replacement (they are old, standard 14 bolt swap kit stuff)
20​
20​
Tub/body:
120​
120​
Seats:
Build seat mounts
120​
120​
Install seats
15​
15​
Build mounts for harnesses
120​
120​
Install harnesses
15​
15​
Exhaust system:
180​
180​
TOTAL
Unfortunately that is only a slight exaggeration of what actually happens in my garage. LOL.

Unfortunately that is only a slight exaggeration of what actually happens in my garage. LOL.
It’s based on accurately compiled data from my garage :laughing:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with letting someone else make sure you get your rig on the trail.
I get asked all the time “did you build it” and I never have any problem saying no lol. I just like to wheel more than build. Maintaining a working one is plenty enough work, and that part I do enjoy.

I would recommend @tobaccoroad4wd for a project like that, just gotta be patient. If a man ain’t telling you he’s backed up, you don’t want him finishing your project lol.

I know I'm the last person you want to hear from haha, but for what it's worth I do this full time and I will let my work speak for itself nowadays. I'm not like the other guys mentioned, but I can easily do what you mentioned needing done and I have the time. I can do a full 1Ton build with Coilovers/LS/etc etc in less than 6weeks if I'm not scattering for parts and if you'd like, check out my Facebook (John Fuller) and you'll see all my work for the last many years. I'm only throwing myself out there cause I remember hanging out with you at the Flats and you were always a really nice guy and I have had many people bring me rigs to "finish" for them haha. Best of luck to you, hope you get it done one way or another!

@drkelly the question is do you want someone dedicated to your project and only your project until it's done, or someone who works it in between other projects/day job duties?
There's few full time fab/off road shops around any more and the good ones are booked out quite a ways.
What you want done (decent amount of fab work) is right up MarsFab's alley if he's taking on more work at this time. The other guys who replied do great work as well.
I run in to this with gear jobs all the time. If they want it done tomorrow, I refer them to another shop here locally. If they can make an appt and/or drop it off until I get to it, I'm their guy.

I know I'm the last person you want to hear from haha, but for what it's worth I do this full time and I will let my work speak for itself nowadays. I'm not like the other guys mentioned, but I can easily do what you mentioned needing done and I have the time. I can do a full 1Ton build with Coilovers/LS/etc etc in less than 6weeks if I'm not scattering for parts and if you'd like, check out my Facebook (John Fuller) and you'll see all my work for the last many years. I'm only throwing myself out there cause I remember hanging out with you at the Flats and you were always a really nice guy and I have had many people bring me rigs to "finish" for them haha. Best of luck to you, hope you get it done one way or another!
I stopped by @marty79 shop one day to talk about a bumper for my 4runner. Although I have never got around to getting one built, I was impressed with not only his work, but with him. Very nice guy and very passionate about what he does. Had some very clean L's swapped jeeps in his shop that day.

Back