Ball joint tool and ball joints

MR. GADGET

Well its about that time I'm looking at new ball joints and the dealer is talking 1300 - 1500 big ones.
I have done them before and if dodge will not cover it under the 7/70 warrenty I'm going to get them and a good ball joint tool to do it with.
I have the cheep balljoint tool from harbour freight tools but was told you need the longer one, and this one the joints are in the axle not the outer so I would like to get a good one and found a few on line for 300+$ but would like to get one local or from a tool truck with a warrenty on it.
Anyone know a place to get one with the dodge fittings and best place to find the ball joints?
Napa has them for 95$ each but none greasable...
Jon

Well its about that time I'm looking at new ball joints and the dealer is talking 1300 - 1500 big ones.
I have done them before and if dodge will not cover it under the 7/70 warrenty I'm going to get them and a good ball joint tool to do it with.
I have the cheep balljoint tool from harbour freight tools but was told you need the longer one, and this one the joints are in the axle not the outer so I would like to get a good one and found a few on line for 300+$ but would like to get one local or from a tool truck with a warrenty on it.
Anyone know a place to get one with the dodge fittings and best place to find the ball joints?
Napa has them for 95$ each but none greasable...
Jon
Jon
if you get a chance give me a call

What about some of you guys that work at shops and get the stuff from tool trucks can anyone tell me what they have been using for doing ball joints?
Whos got a big C press and what they run.?????????
Jon

OTC-8031.jpg

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-8031.html
You will not get it any cheaper off a tool truck, this would probably be the same kit they sold you only with a 50% markup.
I've bought a lot of tools thru here, and have always saved over the "truck" prices, especially on 'specailty' tools

OTC tools are made for the dealership techs, and usually command a premium price, and most always of decent quality.
Kevin

only after we hear what carl said :)
OK Yager:shaking: He took his to a shop and had them done and they had a hard time with them but his in a 1 ton 2WD. I called the shop wanted 950 or so. Don't know I want to put that money into it like that, I would rather do it myself even if the tools I have now are not up to the job (C press) I can get what I need then if someone else has the same problem then I can help them out with it down the road. Remember I have done Dana 60 and 44/10 bolts, They just talk like you need a bigger press for the AA 9.5
Good enough for you:lol: :rolleyes:
JON

OTC-8031.jpg

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-8031.html
You will not get it any cheaper off a tool truck, this would probably be the same kit they sold you only with a 50% markup.
I've bought a lot of tools thru here, and have always saved over the "truck" prices, especially on 'specailty' tools

OTC tools are made for the dealership techs, and usually command a premium price, and most always of decent quality.
Kevin

Kevin
That is cool I was looking at that same one just wanted to see if anyone else would step up and say the same. You know how it is, could have a 1 ton and ask about a p rated B load range tire and someone would come back and it will work fine!!!!!!!!:bounce:
:shaking:

Thanks for stepping up Kevin :)

:shaking: I was just gonna say make one. I've got a good size HF press but but its not the end all do all tool. You end up making pucks and adapters anyway..

I'd take a some pieces of 2" box and make a mini press, that you can fit a standard small 3ton bottle jack in there.. The giant screw seemed to always seems to be the root of problems with the clamps..

autozone worked for my 97 xj. Me and pops did the upper and lower on both sides. Not one problem with the tool.
$50 deposit which you get back when you return it.
Can't beat free..give it a try.

the one from autozone isnt big enough
Yep need a big one and this one has the BJ's on the axle so you cant carry it to a press.
Look at this it may help http://otctools.com/newcatalog/products/517921.pdf
to see what I need and the tool comes with everything I need to do ball joints, u joints and anything else you want to tear up .....

Ordered 255.50 to the door.......
Jon

MOST dealerships are supplied by the manuf. (at a cost) with OTC tooling.

Have had very little issue with the OTC tools I have used. and the trouble I have had was due to "modified" tooling from a previous user mis-using the tool.

You order the tool from The Toolwarehouse ? they really do have some great prices.

I bought a set of R-134 AC gauges from there, $96, included gauge set manifold, 3 hoses, thermmometer, quik couplers and hard case.

EXACT same set (same part # ) on MATCO truck was $300

I laughed and told tool guy how I bought mine, he got mad.

Kevin

MOST dealerships are supplied by the manuf. (at a cost) with OTC tooling.

Have had very little issue with the OTC tools I have used. and the trouble I have had was due to "modified" tooling from a previous user mis-using the tool.

You order the tool from The Toolwarehouse ? they really do have some great prices.

I bought a set of R-134 AC gauges from there, $96, included gauge set manifold, 3 hoses, thermmometer, quik couplers and hard case.

EXACT same set (same part # ) on MATCO truck was $300

I laughed and told tool guy how I bought mine, he got mad.

Kevin
Got it from the toolwarehouse .
Dam this thing is big... had a 50+ lb shipping weight.
Should do the job and then some it looks like the ones people sell for $400-$500 so I think it is a deal
Total cost will be Beer plus $255 + $350 for the ball joints vs dealer wanted 1500$ plus 2 days..........If it is like the Blazer should take 5-6 hrs to do, now all I need is the time.

Jon

Got it from the toolwarehouse .
Dam this thing is big... had a 50+ lb shipping weight.
Should do the job and then some it looks like the ones people sell for $400-$500 so I think it is a deal
Total cost will be Beer plus $255 + $350 for the ball joints vs dealer wanted 1500$ plus 2 days..........If it is like the Blazer should take 5-6 hrs to do, now all I need is the time.
Jon

It is, same tool thru Snappy/Mac w ould run over $500.

If you have an idea of when you'll be doing this, I'll help ya, if ya want. but if it's on a Saturday, I come with attatchments (3yr old) got a dog pen or another kid to play with ?

Kevin

Back