Cheap Truck Challenge???

Infamous1

another member on here told me about this and it was also posted on another site and i was wondering if anybody was putting a rig together or going to spectate or what??
I have a 5.2 ZJ i will probly try to enter in this just for kicks!!!

If anyone has any interest lets ride up there and check it out!!

http://rcpfa.com/showthread.php?2938-Crozet-Cheap-Truck-Challenge-Saturday-11-3-amp-Sunday-11-4

http://rcpfa.com/showthread.php?2936-Crozet-Cheap-Truck-Challenge-(CCTC)-rules-for-11-04-12-event

Got an XJ we are entering. Buyout rule doesn't scare me, if everything goes as planned if someone buys it for $500 we will turn a profit on it. Lol

Hope to see some more NC people come out and run.

Infamous, let me know when you're gonna start on the ZJ. I'll come by and help turn wrenches and drink some cold ones.

this should be awesome. does anyone know if spectators will be allowed up there? their site says no spectators- but not sure if that applies here.

this should be awesome. does anyone know if spectators will be allowed up there? their site says no spectators- but not sure if that applies here.

While not forbidden, we don't want to encourage too many spectators, and spectators will be kept pretty far away from the competition, The property just isn't really set up for that kind of thing, and we don't want to put anyone, driver or spectator, in danger. That said, This may not be the final word, let me take the question back to the rest of the board, and make sure that is the consensus, and I'll post back when I get it.

John
RCPFA Secretary.

Last edited:

I believe the main reason that spectators are not allowed is due to past events where crowds got out of control and people were everywhere drinking and causing a ruckus. Spectators are allowed, just in a different sense. We try to keep it to the amount of people that have a seat in a rig. That way, there's not a bunch of people standing around drinking beer walking all over the property getting run over.

Honestly, there hasn't been a big desire of groups of people trying to come up and just watch, I think because we haven't had a "spectator event" like this in a while. I've only been on the BOD for RCPFA for a short while, but I don't think there will be a problem with anyone showing an interest in our sport providing it doesn't have a negative impact on our ability to have access to the property RCPFA uses.

-Tim,
RCPFA PAO.

Looks fun except for the buyout rules.

I'm fielding an XJ in the comp. Providing you stick to the budget, the buyout is no big deal. The person buying your rig has to buy it for your declared value. If you have $1200 in the rig, declare $1200. If you have $600, declare $600. If they buy you out, your team breaks even, all you're out is the time you put into it. (Plus, you don't have to drive/tow it home, haha!)

I'm fielding an XJ in the comp. Providing you stick to the budget, the buyout is no big deal. The person buying your rig has to buy it for your declared value. If you have $1200 in the rig, declare $1200. If you have $600, declare $600. If they buy you out, your team breaks even, all you're out is the time you put into it. (Plus, you don't have to drive/tow it home, haha!)

plus the buyout is AFTER the race... so you've already had your fun, and chances are they are buying a broken rig anyway ;-)

plus the buyout is AFTER the race... so you've already had your fun, and chances are they are buying a broken rig anyway ;-)

I sense that this might be a good place to participate in some great action and buy a project rig all in one day, lol.

Starting two vehicles at a time in 1 minute intervals must mean they have a long course setup otherwise the first rigs would come around and finish a lap before everyone is let go.

The course is not set in stone yet, as we are not sure of the number of entrants, but we will do our best to make sure that won't happen. ;)

thanks for the input guys!! Looks like my ZJ gon get to "see the elephant" as the old timers say!!!

Got an XJ we are entering. Buyout rule doesn't scare me, if everything goes as planned if someone buys it for $500 we will turn a profit on it. Lol

Hope to see some more NC people come out and run.

Infamous, let me know when you're gonna start on the ZJ. I'll come by and help turn wrenches and drink some cold ones.

untchable will do!! probly need some jeep tips anyway as this is not my field of expertise!!!

now can I get 33s on a stock wheel under a 95 ZJ with a sawzall????

The course is not set in stone yet, as we are not sure of the number of entrants, but we will do our best to make sure that won't happen. ;)

Zuke - roughly what kind of course/terrain are talking here? Like, it is reasonable to think a long WB truck w/o lift and 33s won't be a trail plug?
E.g. Is this a "Many will start, few will finsih" kind of thing, or more like "Most finish, it's about the speed" kind of thing?

A LWB Truck at stock height on 33's would likely have alot of problems, The terrain is mostly rocks, then when you get thru that, you'll find bigger rocks, and finally, after those, we have some boulders! Seriously though, The majority of it is Rock crawling, and a LWB truck would likely find itself high centered alot... There are some spots that will be wet, but mud is rare at Crozet, There are a few sections that will be relatively high speed on dirt. I personally have covered all the possible course routes in my open/open 2"BB TJ on 33's, and my Locked/Locked Grand Wagoneer on 35's, I expect more competitors will complete the challenge than not and that the attrition rate will be in the 35 to 40% range.

Last edited:
now can I get 33s on a stock wheel under a 95 ZJ with a sawzall????

Yes you can, as long as you don't leave any sharp edges and don't mind a little rubbin!

A LWB Truck at stock height on 33's would likely have alot of problems, The terrain is mostly rocks, then when you get thru that, you'll find bigger rocks, and finally, after those, we have some boulders! Seriously though, The majority of it is Rock crawling, and a LWB truck would likely find itself high centered alot... There are some spots that will be wet, but mud is rare at Crozet, There are a few sections that will be relatively high speed on dirt. I personally have covered all the possible course routes in my open/open 2"BB TJ on 33's, and my Locked/Locked Grand Wagoneer on 35's, I expect more competitors will complete the challenge than not and that the attrition rate will be in the 35 to 40% range.

I hate rocks.
And so does my stock IFS Xt-cab Toy LWB truck :driver:

Sooo.... maybe I'll have to find a cheap way to shorten it :gitrdun:

I hate rocks.
And so does my stock IFS Xt-cab Toy LWB truck :driver:

I don't know enough about yotas to say, and would bet it's not so easy with an IFS front, but is there a cheap way to add some lift? We have quite a few 4runners that come out there, and they do OK, but they pretty much all have been lifted (And are older with solid axles in the front). What is the wheelbase on the Xtra cab?

I don't know enough about yotas to say, and would bet it's not so easy with an IFS front, but is there a cheap way to add some lift? We have quite a few 4runners that come out there, and they do OK, but they pretty much all have been lifted (And are older with solid axles in the front). What is the wheelbase on the Xtra cab?

Xtra cab WB is something crazy like 126". 4Runner is only 80-something?
Unless you do a SAS, only inexpensive way to add real lift is BJ spacers (1.5"). Alot of folks just swap in a solid axle, but that's not cheap.

We just measured a 4runner at the last open wheeling day on the RTI ramp, It was 107" Still much smaller than 126" though...

wait.. what happend to the tree magnet 4 runner you had?

Still have it... but it would be a hard argument to fit under the max value requirements.

Back