Law on trailers.

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
I know that you can pull a log splitter with no tag, same with a Big BBQ setup, do you have to have a tag for those small motorcycle trailers? Small as in less than ~7ish feet? Not going behind a motorcycle, gonna go behind a dune buggy/rail cart. Just to haul some simple camping things once a month this summer.
Thanks in advance.

I know that you can pull a log splitter with no tag, same with a Big BBQ setup, do you have to have a tag for those small motorcycle trailers? Small as in less than ~7ish feet? Not going behind a motorcycle, gonna go behind a dune buggy/rail cart. Just to haul some simple camping things once a month this summer.
Thanks in advance.

My understanding, anything that is hauling/carrying something, needs to have a tag. BBQ pits, splitters, pressure washers, etc dont need them because they are equipment, but as soon as you put other "things" on that trailer, it is supposed to have a tag.

Given the size and how often you'll use it, I'd probly roll without a tag.

What ^ said. It it is a piece of “equipment” with wheels, it doesn’t need a tag. If it is a trailer that carries something, it needs a tag. If you borrowed it from your buddy in SC it doesn’t need a tag. If you are going 60 in a 35 and get pulled over, it needs a tag. If you are minding your own business and being a reasonable driver, you’ll be fine without a tag.

As said if it’s a stand alone piece of equip. No tag. If you haul something on it. Tag. Or do what I do and not tag my trailer cause I use it to haul hay or ag related stuff (exempt).

Farm use for everything. No tag.

FWIW in SC any trailers leaving the state require a tag. However, I pulled for years without one.

FWIW in SC any trailers leaving the state require a tag. However, I pulled for years without one.
That's a SC law, and doesn't apply in NC ;) :laughing:

I tow every day. Only one of my trailers has a tag. In the past 20 years I have been stopped twice. Once in the middle of the night towing a nice looking junker - trooper was more interested in the car. Once in the tiny town of Brookford because I had ac units on the trailer. Both used the lack of a tag as a pretext.

IMO it’s cheaper to pay the fine if I am ever ticketed. Our trucks have been pulled 5 times in 2 years and never a mention of a tag on the trailers. Pulled in NC, TN, and even the communist state of VA with no tag problems.

Last permanent tag I bought was $96.

And the "permanent" part is the property taxes every year...

Back