Older Ithaca Shotgun

Nissan11

Today my uncle gave me a shotgun that belonged to his uncle. According to the serial number the gun was built by Ithaca in 1920. Can anyone tell me if it is safe to shoot with modern ammunition?

Attachments

• 20181225_135404.jpg
    20181225_135404.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 20181225_104118.jpg
    20181225_104118.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 213
With a standard load you will be fine. Don't go grabbing any 'magnum' shells or anything. I have an Ithica Model 37 Featherlight 16 gauge from the 1930s, and it shoots great.

Companies still make light recoil and/or low pressure shells that will be fine in that, if you're too worried about shooting a modern low-brass load.

I'd get it inspected if you're not sure about when it was last used, or have any concerns about barrel condition.

I'd shoot low brass through it all day long. I have a 1890 something single shot Remington 16ga that my great-great grandfather bought at an estate sale in the 20s. Its our families go to turkey shoot gun. As long as it isn't Damascus steel (I'm 99.999% sure it isn't) you should be good to go with modern low brass loads.

With a standard load you will be fine. Don't go grabbing any 'magnum' shells or anything. I have an Ithica Model 37 Featherlight 16 gauge from the 1930s, and it shoots great.

I grabbed a 1941 M37 put of the attic at my dad's. It's probably my favorite gun to shoot...light as hell, broke in good, and full choke. Has a 5 digit serial number. It's not worth jack because they made millions of them, but it's really cool!

I have a couple older Ithaca’s. I’ll gladly take it off of your hands if you are scared to shoot it.

Just keep with lead shot, 2 3/4” and you will likely be ok.

When my great uncle passed we found a loaded shot gun behind damn near every door in the house. Turns out pretty cool because we all got to take one home. I ended up with a old Stevens single shot 12gauge that was sold out of the old Sears and Roebuck god knows when.
It still had an old paper shell in it that I had to cut out because it had rusted in. Cleaned and lubed, to this day it's my most used gun. Great for rabbit hunting, light weight and can't hurt it. Use it to beat the brush and see what pops out!

As long as it locks up tight I would shoot that thing thing!!! Go to Wal-Marts buy you a hundy box of 7.5 shot shells, a case of skeet and a $5 hand thrower. Proceed to have time of life!!

Your probably okay to shoot low brass. But I would shot low pressure or low recoil for the peace of mind. I saw a post on a gun dog page where an older side by side blew out.

That said I would also be interested if you wanted to sell it I’ve been looking for a decent condition SxS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, if you look at the barrel thickness at the breech ..... I would bet that is twice as thick as anything made now.
I wouldn't be too afraid to shoot regular off the shelf stuff thru it.

Regular target loads or small game stuuf would be fine IMHO.

edit: btw- YER UNCLE ROCKS!

Thank you for the responses. I have no intention of getting rid of the gun even if it is proven unsafe to fire. I plan to let a gunsmith measure the chambers as some info I found on Ithica forums indicate the chambers are likely 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" which would be unsafe for modern 2 3/4" shells.

Thank you for the responses. I have no intention of getting rid of the gun even if it is proven unsafe to fire. I plan to let a gunsmith measure the chambers as some info I found on Ithica forums indicate the chambers are likely 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" which would be unsafe for modern 2 3/4" shells.

You can find a gun Smith to increase the chamber length, or you can find smaller shells but most will be low recoil/low pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 1919 Ithaca that was my great grandfathers. He bought it new for $6.50. I still shoot it from time to time but use light loads for peace of mind. Barnes and Nobles has a great book about the various grades that Ithaca produced for that model shotgun. It explains the various engravings, features and options available at the time. If I can find the book again, I'll link it here if you'd like.

Back