Pickled Sausages

RobMcBee

Slow n easy when you're not gettin greasy....
seems you can't find these things anymore so I found a great replacement!

image.jpg

Penrose Hot Sausage Recipe.

This recipe makes a one quart jar of pickled sausage. Scale up or down as desired.

Brine:
*1/2 cup water
*2 cups white vinegar, For milder flavor use Apple Cider Vinegar.
*1 tbsp salt (Pickling or Non iodine if available)

In each 1 qt jar: (Mild) For HOT add 50% more to each jar, for WILD, double.
*1/2 tbsp Ground Cayenne Pepper.
*1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper.
*1 tbsp red pepper flakes.
*1 tsp minced Garlic, or, 1 or 2 garlic cloves minced with a check faced framing hammer.
*1 tbsp dried minced onion, or a small diced white onion.
*1 tsp Paprika.
*A pinch all spice for mildly hot recipe, or for HOT recipe, add Ghost or your favorite HOT chili/pepper.

Sausage:
*28 oz pkg Hillshire Farms 'lil Smokies, or other precooked link sausage, cut in two. (MUST be precooked!) Kielbasa sliced about 1/2 inch thick works also. Hot dogs just don't work.
Or, use to pickle Boiled Eggs, just add a little sugar to the brine or they're SOUR!!

Directions

1* On medium-high heat, combine the water, salt, and vinegar.
2* Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer for a minute in a well ventilated area.
3* Place precooked sausage into a 1 qt sterile jar. Fill jar but don't pack tightly.
4* Place spices, onion, garlic etc., on top of the sausage in the jars.
5* Pour the hot vinegar mixture in with the sausage, If there isn't enough, mix a bit more brine. Secure the lid while brine is still HOT!!
6* Let cool, then place in the 'frige. keep Refrigerated after opening.
7* Ready to eat in 5 to 7 days.

I added some fresh jalapeños and chilies from the garden to make mine a lil hotter.

wonder if you could do "jar length" kiabasa? just a thought. Maybe use a high end hot dog like Boars head? just thinking about something a little easier to dejar/consume while out and about. Will definatly be trying this!!

Nex time If I'm up your way I'm taking a jar home with me!

wonder if you could do "jar length" kiabasa? just a thought. Maybe use a high end hot dog like Boars head? just thinking about something a little easier to dejar/consume while out and about. Will definatly be trying this!!

I wouldn't see why not, maybe slice them in half lengthwise. From the forum I got the recipe from the guy said hotdogs just don't pickle well. I'm guessing they get mushy.

My wife pickled my sausage last night.

Just sayin'

She might want to see a Dr. About that..... Just sayin :D

Nex time If I'm up your way I'm taking a jar home with me!

Ima make several more but they're easy as crap to make. I'm not making to many at one time though b/c I read they're not shelf stable. I guess they may be if you pressure canned them <shrug>

man i would think anything in vinegar would be shelf stable.... maw had a big ole copperhead she had caught alive in a half gallon mason jar and just filled it up with white vinegar. I know that after 15 years it still looked fine, wouldn't have ate it but it just sat up on a shelf looking snakey and whatnot.

Same recipe I use. Mine never last long enough to worry bout shelf life. I make bout 6 quarts at a time. My best advice is use the all beef. they turn out the best. The mixed with chicken/ pork are ok. I had to make a batch with turkey for the wife. I think they suck she said they were ok but I made them to hot so she wont eat them.

Oh almost forgot pop about 5 of them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds...damn good

You were saying you couldnt find them any more. Im assuming you refered to the penrose in the litle glass jars. They were bought out in 09 I think and the company didnt want to pay the expense of glass jars and shipping. Then like a year later that factory burnt down. Iirc

Come to think of it, ive been out for about a month now. May be heading to the grocery store.

Back