Trailer shopping.... leonard trailers? opinions needed

HGSR

craigslistaholic
its one of the few web sites that actually show pricing and the leonard dealer is only 5-10 min from my house. they have a 16x7 on the lot so iam going to look at tomorrow. iam not looking to buy a 16' but i figured i would go eyeball what they have to see if ordering a 18x7 would be a good buy. i hear good things about trt but no pricing and finding the time to ride to lincolnton is a issue. soooo has any of you guys bought or looked at the leonard trailers? or any dealer suggestions other than leonard. it would be a cash in hand deal no on lot financing... thanks!

with two 3500lb axles and a trailer the weighs 2000lbs that means its only good for another 5000lbs? the last truck i had weighed 6960 and that wasnt fully dressed..

I've been happy with my T&W trailer as well. Like Chip said, they have them ready to pickup, or you can have him make whatever you want. He did a great job on my custom 16' and what I feel was a great price as well.

http://www.redhotwelding.com/ Iff you can get to rock hill david builds really nice trailers.

Another vote for these guys. I bought a used trailer from them. They threw on 4 new tires for $100 each. Went the next day to pick it up and they said they misquoted the tires. They held the price they told me. Should have been another $80.

They have factory built trailers as well as custom.

We've got several Kraftsman trailers. I've got an 18' solid deck car trailer, we have a 24' gooseneck deckover and an 18' gooseneck dump trailer. All have been great trailers and good people to deal with. Buddy of mine just bought a 36' gooseneck deckover as well.

If I had to buy a new trailer, I'd either go with T&W or Kraftsman. My unlce has had two from T&W and they've been from Hickory to New Bern more times than I can count with a vehicle on them. Kraftsman builds very nice trailers and will build whatever you want for a good price.

With that being said, I scored an 18ft Down 2 Earth equipment trailer for 1500 bucks. 10k trailer, 8 lug, brakes on both. I couldn't pass it up.

another vote for T&W. TRT and Woody Lockman in Lincolnton have great prices and service. Got my last 2 car trailers from Woody. Noone else could come close in price, esp when adding options. He doesnt deal much in bigger trailers though.

If you get a Kaufman, make sure to pull it first. I picked mine up, took off down the highway with four square wheels. Trailer seems well built though.

i didnt make it up to leonard today, but i know a guy that works there. he quoted me $2619 out the door on a 7x20. a deck over would be nice, no fenders to run over and the extra width. this is going to be a tough decision....

Last edited:
Get a deck over it may have a higher rating too in the axles, or that's what I ran into on a search for a trailer once. I would also go 18 to 20 feet over 16. If you go from a short to a long wheel base vehicle it would help, and you can always mount a tool box and winch to the trailer deck.

T&W doesn't have a website and is kinda old school; call me up, talk and ask, quote on phone, mail a check, then go pick it up when it is ready. Pretty simple.

$2650 seems high. My 18' trailer with 10,000lb axles, brakes on both axles, winch mount, removable fenders, LED lights, slide in ramps, etc was less than that from T&W.

After having the T&W trailer and others in the past, I wouldn't call anyone else for a trailer.

T&W doesn't have a website and is kinda old school; call me up, talk and ask, quote on phone, mail a check, then go pick it up when it is ready. Pretty simple.

$2650 seems high. My 18' trailer with 10,000lb axles, brakes on both axles, winch mount, removable fenders, LED lights, slide in ramps, etc was less than that from T&W.

After having the T&W trailer and others in the past, I wouldn't call anyone else for a trailer.
There's one listed in Hudson, must be a different Co. Thought they seemed kinda Huge!

image.jpg

This one

i stoped by leonard today and looked at the 16' that was setting out front... i hope the 20' trailer is build a lot better than what i seen... i could flex it more than i thought it should flex with me on the far left rear. ill call t&w this week, a 10,000lb trailer for the same price range would be great. i wouldnt have a worry with that kind of weight window. how long ago did you buy that t&w trailer?

I bought mine in Feb of 2014

The trailer I got kept the 7000lb frame and I upgraded the axles and brakes to 10000lb

Did this to keep it light and I know I won't really need a 10000lb frame.

Only thing I wish I had added was a rub rail so I have something to hook a strap to at every point around the perimeter of the trailer. It's easy for me to add so it's not a huge deal

What you have s exactly what I want. I will have to call those guys and get a current price. Thanks for chiming in on this.

image.jpg
Here is a better shot.

You can change up just about anything. Dovetail or flat deck is same cost. Lift up ramps or hide away ramps, same cost.

The metal deck upgrade is cheap too but I wanted wood.

He even added a winch mount up front, no charge.
Added brakes on both axles for cheap too.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I added the tool box later.

Back