name that connector

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
This is the "on" signal connector going in to the starter on an 86-95 toyota pickup.
Broke off right behind connector :kaioken::sniper: So fixing/reusing is impossible.

I know this is a fairly
20190119_162328.jpg
20190119_162316.jpg
standard single-wire connector, but what is it called, so i could find one?
I have plenty of wire so could just crimp a new one on.
Local dealer wants to sell the whole wiring warness for a rediculous amount and wont be here for a week...

Last edited:
If it’s anything like Jeeps from the 80s the inside connector consists of a packard 56 series connector.
thanks for the tip. It does look like that, but it also has that extra tab parallel to the bottom, and no ta locking tab on top.
Its hard to see but I do think the inside is the same though. Unfortunately I can't see into the connector on the starter to see what the mate looks like.

I found this picture of what the other side should look like.
47320744-9828-4A23-B116-0B308C624E40.png

Should be able to take the connector you have apart with the proper tool and reuse it after soldering the wire back on.

I found this picture of what the other side should look like.
View attachment 284600
I ended up going to Advance, and asked to see a starter. Tried a generic 1/4" spade connector and it fit perfectly. Got an insulated one and went with that. It looks like thats basically whats inside that brown plastic case.
So, problem solved. At least until that thing gets wiggly loose and falls out....
Should be able to take the connector you have apart with the proper tool and reuse it after soldering the wire back on.
Im not sure what the proper tool is, but I dont see how it would come apart. It looks like you'd crimp/solder the internal connector on, then slip it into the plastic case, which has a press-fit snap inside. So once its snapped, you cant really un-snap wo breaking it.
May be possible, o just dont see how.

This is like most other automotive connectors with a double lock plate. The yellow part is a double lock plate, and it keeps the latch inside the connector from being able to move and release the connector terminal. You slide that out and the latch can be moved, and the terminal can be slid out.

You can reuse the housing if you can find the terminal.

Which is Toyota part number 82998-12060 (160mm long pigtail) or 82998-12580 (500mm pigtail).

And the housing (the brown part with the yellow double lock plate) is Toyota part number 90980-10179 (the 10179 on the connector is actually a Toyota part number, usually that would be something like a connector manufacturer part number).

I would say that connector is a Delphi Metri-Pack 630 Series Unsealed, but they have a rear double lock plate and not a front double lock plate. Probably AMP/Tyco instead.

Last edited:
This is like most other automotive connectors with a double lock plate. The yellow part is a double lock plate, and it keeps the latch inside the connector from being able to move and release the connector terminal. You slide that out and the latch can be moved, and the terminal can be slid out.

You can reuse the housing if you can find the terminal.

Which is Toyota part number 82998-12060 (160mm long pigtail) or 82998-12580 (500mm pigtail).

And the housing (the brown part with the yellow double lock plate) is Toyota part number 90980-10179 (the 10179 on the connector is actually a Toyota part number, usually that would be something like a connector manufacturer part number).

I would say that connector is a Delphi Metri-Pack 630 Series Unsealed, but they have a rear double lock plate and not a front double lock plate. Probably AMP/Tyco instead.
Thanks!
I'm curious, how did you find this info re: part numbers? The parts tech at the dealer couldn't figure out how to find it by itself.
I generally like being able to find this kind of thing but didn't know where to start.
That second link is super useful. Saved for future reference. I never would have stumbled on that.

i have several extension cables with male and female connects (the spades and the plastic cover/connector) they come with NEW starters for Toyota 4cyl LP forklifts, which incidentally use the same starter as the 22R/RE. i save the old extension cables as they are prone to breaking just like in your picture. (the cable can be bought separate)

if you need some spare starters, i have several i’ll let go cheap, ive had them for years and they dont fit my current Toyotas, these are the higher Kw with the square recess in the motor cap.

Thanks!
I'm curious, how did you find this info re: part numbers? The parts tech at the dealer couldn't figure out how to find it by itself.
I generally like being able to find this kind of thing but didn't know where to start.
That second link is super useful. Saved for future reference. I never would have stumbled on that.

Mad research skills from my collective past job experience in engineering/design fields, and some side hobbies/businesses making stuff for engine swaps, etc.
I can usually recognize the connector brand on sight, which is all past experience, and tell you what brand a logo belongs to.
I was Googling the number on the connector picture, which I figured was an AMP/Tyco part number, and found out it was actually a partial Toyota part number, and that lead to the other stuff I found with the reference documents. Sometimes you just need intuition about where to start, and then intuition about where to follow it.

Drop the original connector in an envelope, with make, model, etc. info ......
Send it to a NC4x4 member near a Pull-a-part.
My experience is they they usually hand it to you and say have a nice day.

It may take a couple of weeks but I'll do it.

Back