‘93 22re AFM bad without throwing a code?

Archdukeferdinand

My 22re started running like crap last week. Starts & idles fine but takes forever to rev and makes way less power. Verified fuel, spark, air. Pulled throttle body today, cleaned, ohmed out TPS. O2 sensor is disconnected, but has been for about 6 months (rattled loose, fell on exhaust and burned up the truck side wiring harness). I'll splice it back in tomorrow to verify it's not the problem, but this was a pretty drastic change overnight. Exhaust is not clogged. The only code I've gotten is the o2 sensor.

AFM does not ohm out, and that's getting to be the only remaining culprit beside the timing having jumped a tooth. I'm hoping the AFM is bad, just not enough to throw a code.

Anyone dealt with something like this before? Might just buy a new AFM and swap to see before I start chasing the timing.

Yeah I actually just priced one of those from NAPA. The only nice thing about problems is that they're really just chances to upgrade!

That would be awesome, how much are you wanting for it? I wired the o2 sensor back in and now no codes of any sort, CEL gone but it still runs like shit. Multimeter shows the entire IAT section of the AFM is dead, I'm just surprised it's not throwing any codes. I can provoke both AFM and IAT codes by unplugging the sensor at the harness, so I know the ECU is at least looking for them.

$45 can ship. I would double check fuel pressure, and ignition system. Iat doesn't affect fuel mix very much.. also check tps for linearity/adjustment.

I might just come down and grab it. The rest of the AFM is not in range either, but the IAT shows open/infinite. I'm going to take your suggestions to double check everything more carefully. I may have engaged in some biased diagnostics as the change was like a light switch, fine on the drive home, next morning slowish start and bam it's been a dog ever since- so I was operating on assumption that it wasn't something that gradually wore out.

I also realized that the day I drove home, I'd filled up from one of our tanks at work that's getting low. it's possible there was some trash in it. I'll prob do the fuel filter to be sure, even though I did it just last year. I did verify I'm getting fuel to the rail- just not with a pressure gauge.

TPS was good per this chart
02AE75AE-C571-4561-89A6-BE06134174B1.jpeg

Back