02 4.0 Wrangler oil pan

BrianGreen

SSG Brian Green
Buddy has one and the oil jockey at Walmart stripped the plug. How bad is it to change the oil pan and does anyone in the Charlotte area have one they would sell? I’m a Yota guy and don’t know much about the bottom of a 4.0.

They aren’t hard to drop and replace. If it isn’t lifted then just jack the frame up as far as you can to get away from the front axle. About the only issue is getting around the oil pickup but they can be changed out under the vehicle. Rubber one price gasket. Small dabs of silicone at the corners where it goes around the rear main cap and the front timing cover. Too easy. Hell, while he has the pan off put a new oil pump in it.

They aren’t hard to drop and replace. If it isn’t lifted then just jack the frame up as far as you can to get away from the front axle. About the only issue is getting around the oil pickup but they can be changed out under the vehicle. Rubber one price gasket. Small dabs of silicone at the corners where it goes around the rear main cap and the front timing cover. Too easy. Hell, while he has the pan off put a new oil pump in it.
230k means a new oil pump is a given. He was quoted $750 from a shop in Charlotte. I told him to bring it over and we can do it for a case of beer! BTW, vet buddy. He is a smoke.

Like I said about the lift or not bout a bit of a trailer wiggle rim can be gained by removing the exhaust down pipe as well. Depending on where the Jeep has lived it’s life this may open a can of worms.

FWIW when they moved all us Fisters out of the infantry BN back to the FA BN (circa 2015) my 1SG insisted on calling me smoke Jr. I was still a SSG but in a SFC slot so he said that’s how we address PSG here in the FA. I was so lost in the sauce lol.

Like I said about the lift or not bout a bit of a trailer wiggle rim can be gained by removing the exhaust down pipe as well. Depending on where the Jeep has lived it’s life this may open a can of worms.

FWIW when they moved all us Fisters out of the infantry BN back to the FA BN (circa 2015) my 1SG insisted on calling me smoke Jr. I was still a SSG but in a SFC slot so he said that’s how we address PSG here in the FA. I was so lost in the sauce lol.
He is a Bravo. Retired MSG now. Was my NCOIC in recruiting off and on for a few years. 05/06 was when the Army did a major restructure. Infantry doesn’t know what to do with a 13 series except when they need help.

Oh I know all of that situation! The queen is great and all, I give them all do respect, but when it comes to doing big business the king knows how to put his foot down and end the disagreement.

02 will be a bitch to work around the exhaust
Soak the 4 15mm y pipe to manifold bolts for a few days. Go ahead and buy new onea at the dealer. Trust me.
You'll have to drop the skid plate to remove or lower the exhaust enough to clear dropping the pan
What I do once the pan is off, apply some rtv to the gasket and using every other bolt, bolt the gasket to the block. Wait an hour, gently remove the bolts and the pan will go on like butter.
If you replace the oil pump, don't forget it has a gasket between it and the block

02 will be a bitch to work around the exhaust
Soak the 4 15mm y pipe to manifold bolts for a few days. Go ahead and buy new onea at the dealer. Trust me.
You'll have to drop the skid plate to remove or lower the exhaust enough to clear dropping the pan
What I do once the pan is off, apply some rtv to the gasket and using every other bolt, bolt the gasket to the block. Wait an hour, gently remove the bolts and the pan will go on like butter.
If you replace the oil pump, don't forget it has a gasket between it and the block
I retract all previous statements and bow out to @Jody Treadway on this. My info is solely based on 4.0 XJ platforms. He knows his way around and I completely defer except for our other half of the conversation: King > Queen lol.

The later 4.0 have the dual cats at the manifolds. As a result, the pipe crosses under the front of the oil pan and there is very little room.
Older TJs, XJs, etc are cake like you said. Newer ones, not so much

Any particular reason that Walmart isn't paying for this? I infer that it didn't get discovered until way after the damage was done?

I bought a pan from Amazon for cheap a few years ago. The fill plug was metric, but it was fine other than that.

Back