'02 CTD 24valve fuel pressure issue

GONOVRIT

blue collar brotherhood
My truck is not holding fuel pressure after the truck is cut off. I have to bump the starter to get the Air Dog pumping, wait until it stops then it takes me about three tries to get it started.This started not long after I reinstalled a set of refurbished 75hp injectors.

At the same time the truck has developed a parasitic draw that I'm having trouble finding. This truck sits, alot. I've only started it twice in the past 2.5wks. Both times the batteries were dead and it initially had zero fuel pressure.

I'm guessing its something to do with the Air Dog but??????

Leaking down while sitting sure sounds like a bad injector to me. Who refurbed them, and did they come with any sort of a warranty?

Leaking down while sitting sure sounds like a bad injector to me. Who refurbed them, and did they come with any sort of a warranty?
Chason diesel, not sure about a warranty but I believe its leaking down way to fast to be an injector.
Check the ground wires on the AirDog. That would be the first guess. Next would be that you have a wire rubbed in 2 somewhere.
I had some time to check some things with the multimeter and the AirDog checked good. Definetly something wrong though.

I know it could be a leak/crack in the return line but I don't have diesel anywhere. I dropped it off with a mechanic friend with time to find the draw but sadly I know more than most mechanics around here about the fuel system of the truck. This has me stumped though.

I have the same problem going on with my '01 loosing fuel pressure. I'm not having the power draw that you have though.

sounds like a bad injector to me pull the oil dip stick & smell it & see if it smells like diesel
or pull an oil sample to see if u are geting fuel in your oil ( i can get you an oil sample test kit if you need one )

Yeah, I hate to beat a dead horse, but when i had bad injectors, my '03 would leak down over a matter of 2-3 hours.

I'll check the oil when I can get to the truck. This leakdown is happening in a matter of minutes though. I'm sure I'll be able to tell if it is an injector.

I sent the injectors off to be pop tested and cleaned due to a surging problem I was tracking down. They apparently had to reset the bar on a couple and my surging problem seems to be gone.

Thanks for the replies.

My problem is worse if I park with the front end level or uphill. If I park with the nose of the truck downhill, it will start fine. Yours have this symptom? This is what makes me think my problem is more of a fuel leak in the line because my aftermarket (FASS) lift pump is just ahead of the tank.

I haven't parked it on a downhill yet, I'll do that tommorrow. Its lost pressure after being parked on an uphill for a few days but thats been going on for years.
I couldn't sense any fuel in the oil and after watching the fuel pressure drop I'm even more stumped. It will drop to zero as soon as the truck is cut off like it was getting poured out of a jar.
I'll be calling Pureflow(AirDog) in the AM and I'll likely test the fuel just to be 100% sure.
I was planning on taking it to the beach this wknd but that doesn't look good right now.

Not yet, got the truck back late last nite. Blew it out on the way home:wheel: gonna work on it today.

If you would remove all of that hot rod crap off your tow rig, you wouldn't have any problems.:flipoff2:

If you would remove all of that hot rod crap off your tow rig, you wouldn't have any problems.:flipoff2:

LOL

If you hook a small multimeter (set on DC amps) inline with the + side of the battery, and start pulling fuses, you should be able to find the parasitic draw pretty quick thats killin your batteries (or at least narrow it down)

Hope that helps

LOL
If you hook a small multimeter (set on DC amps) inline with the + side of the battery, and start pulling fuses, you should be able to find the parasitic draw pretty quick thats killin your batteries (or at least narrow it down)
Hope that helps
Thanks but I did that for as long as I had time.
I had some time to check some things with the multimeter and the AirDog checked good. Definetly something wrong though.
I just don't know what to think of a man thats skeered to hot rod a Cummins:flipoff2:. I'm a good man though, I'll wait for you at the top of the mountain;) Don't think John would though.
Anyway, I believe I somewhat figured out the problem. Back in May I wet lined my FP gauge since the isolator was acting up. The small valve I put inline just in case any problems arose seems to be the culprit. I closed it 70% of the way and no issues now. Fires right up and the gauge still works. Back to hot roddin the back roads:D If you see this at Carolina Beach sunday feel free to say hey.

Attachments

• Rock Crawling 2010 150.jpg
    Rock Crawling 2010 150.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 240
Just for future reference;
The inline valve apparently wasn't it because I was still having problems. Since then I have put new orings on the crossover tubes, injectors and replaced 2 crossover tubes. Its all good now. A little piece of info, Chason diesel sent some flat orings back with my injectors, it was all I had so I put them on. I got some new ones from Cummins and there was a significant difference in the thickness. I have no surging problems or fuel in oil now.

Back