03+ Dodge fuel tank question

shawn

running dog lackey of the oppressor class
Administrator
Allegedly, the 03+ long box diesels got a 35 or 36 gallon tank.

Has anybody ever managed to put more than 30 or 31 gallons in theirs? I can drive mine until it says "0 miles to empty", and only get about 30.5 in the tank.

I've asked a few other folks and heard the same thing. Wondering if the tanks are really as big as the internet says, or if there's something wrong with how the fuel level sender is set up.

I don't think that's it, man. I was going to do the vent relocation trick on mine when I first got it, but I realized that the fuel was coming out of the other vents and running down the side of the tank, regardless. There was some foam, but if I sat and waited for it, I was only getting another half gallon or so in there. It was a difference of 30 vs 29, etc.

Maybe I should run the fawker until it says zero, then drop the tank and see what's still in there. I could do the vent relocation and stuff while the tank is on the ground.

Yeah, I talked to Kyle Jefferies, too. He sold his truck, but used to be a member of the Silver Cummins Club. He said he could sometimes cheat a gallon or two extra in there if he waited for the foam, but that was it. Still topped out around 30-31 normally.

Mine is a '05 and I've always thought it came with a 34 gallon tank but you're correct, I can never recall putting more than about 29 in at one time. Hell, mine can be a pain in the ass just to get fuel in sometimes without the pump continuously shutting off.

Ive *heard* of guys going 60+ miles on the "zero to empty" light....BUT is your lift pump really worth it?

If it's really a 35 gallon tank (my research tonight suggests that it's that big without the fuel tank mod), then I could go an additional 60 miles pulling the trailer and still not run it dry.

Yeah, I can change a lift pump in about 30 minutes. The hardest part is starting the screws back into the fuel filter housing. BTDT

I've always wondered the same thing. About 31 gallons max here.
The first weekend I had my truck I went to Ohio to pick up and Expedition. When I left up there I had 1/4 tank and thought I could drive a while before filling up so I drove about 50-60 miles and started looking for a gas station w/ a diesel pump and it was getting darkish. I had 5 people in the truck and one was my wifes grand maw which was about 82 years old. We were kinda in the middle of no where. There was nothing but diesel farm equipment and diesel trucks all around us. Do you think there was any diesel pumps around? Heck no! I drove close to 100 miles(mostly in circles) w/ the DTE sitting on zero before we found one. G-maw was all to pieces. I wasn't to happy either.

After I got home and read my owners manual it said after hitting zero on the DTE you still have like 10-15% more fuel in the tank. I'll look tomorrow and see what it says.

Back