04 Grand Cherokee intermittent stalling

ltrpilot9

04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.0 166,000 miles
New Jersey Vehicle lots of rust

I bought this vehicle with the intention of teaching my son body work. It has developed an intermittent stalling problem. Before I start throwing parts at it……..

Most mornings after about five minutes of run time, it dies. Most of the time it starts right back up again. When it won’t start up again, if I takeoff the gas cap and put it in neutral it always starts right back up again. Some days it doesn’t do it at all. Most days it only does it once, some days multiple times. Somedays days it stumbles but doesn’t shut all the way off. It seems to do it most frequently after a hard turn. It usually doesn’t pop a code, twice it has thrown a code for an evap leak. It seems to he idling low, 600 RPM ish, also sometimes running rough at idle. It does have a remote start unit installed. I have been driving it hoping it would show me the problem but so far it’s just getting weirder.

Where would you start? TPS? Vapor lock? Fuel system? crank position sensor? Electrical system? Tannerite?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I had a ZJ that was giving similar issues. It would crank and run for a few minutes and then die. Crank back up and seem to run fine most of the time. It was the O2 sensor. The heater died in it, and would give weird signals.

A cheap place to start would be cleaning the hell out of the IAC. Has nothing to do with taking the gas cap off to restart but all the other symptoms mostly fit.

Back