04 TJ cruise light doesn’t come on and cruise inop

ponykilr

Old Crow
My Jeep’s cruise is inop. The light does not come on when pressing “on” nor will it set.

My understanding is that the light should come on the cluster when you press “on” and brake switch and such should have no bearing on that, correct?

In other words, if it were working properly and I tap the brake, the cruise would disengage but the system and light would stay illuminated until the key is switched off. Correct?

There does not seem to be a stand alone cruise fuse. Anyone deal with this before? All steering wheel stuff except cruise works so not thinking clock spring.

My Jeep’s cruise is inop. The light does not come on when pressing “on” nor will it set.

My understanding is that the light should come on the cluster when you press “on” and brake switch and such should have no bearing on that, correct?
YES

In other words, if it were working properly and I tap the brake, the cruise would disengage but the system and light would stay illuminated until the key is switched off. Correct?
YES
There does not seem to be a stand alone cruise fuse. Anyone deal with this before? All steering wheel stuff except cruise works so not thinking clock spring.
I had a similar issue on my old 05. I went in to replace the multi-function switch and found the plastic connector on the column had gotten hot and cracked, causing some of the wires to cross. Signals worked sometimes, but overall everything was hit or miss. Dorman sells a replacement, but make the swap carefully. There are around 20 wires in there, iirc.

I don't know how closely related the Chrysler and GM cruise control systems are but my 2011 Sierra had the same problem. It was the brake switch.

I don't know how closely related the Chrysler and GM cruise control systems are but my 2011 Sierra had the same problem. It was the brake switch.
I've been thinking brake switch or the one on the clutch. I think the tj may have several contacts in the brake switch. One for the lights and one for the cruise. I don't think that would keep it from actually "turning on" and not illuminating the dash light though

I've been thinking brake switch or the one on the clutch. I think the tj may have several contacts in the brake switch. One for the lights and one for the cruise. I don't think that would keep it from actually "turning on" and not illuminating the dash light though
I have read that the switches are fragile, but I was thinking the same, still should turn on…but maybe not.

When mine went bad in the Sierra it wouldn't turn on the cruise light.but the brake lights worked fine.

The plot thickens…

The cruise light does not illuminate during bulb test when first switching on the ignition. So, it is possibly a bad bulb and it is possible that it is actually switching on but not setting due to a bad brake switch.

I guess I will pop a $20 switch in from O’Reilly and see what happens.

here is a dumb question...has the speedo ever went to zero while driving?

here is a dumb question...has the speedo ever went to zero while driving?
No, works perfectly.

I replaced brake switch to no effect.

Cruise light does not come on when switching on veh like the rest of the bulbs do. I am wondering if the bulb actually completes a circuit?

I have downloaded what I think is a service manual from a Jeep forum. I will look at it again a little along.

@Jody Treadway come solve this mans problems ...you prolly fixed this 742 times in your dealer days

@Jody Treadway come solve this mans problems ...you prolly fixed this 742 times in your dealer days
Usually it's one of two things: a failed clock spring is common. But so is a vacuum leak at the intake via one of the hoses being loose. Yes, even the light won't come on with a vacuum leak. I *think* the PCM has to see movent within the servo to turn on the light.
When you installed the brake light switch, did you pull the plunger out so it would compress when you release the pedal. That's how you adjust it.

Usually it's one of two things: a failed clock spring is common. But so is a vacuum leak at the intake via one of the hoses being loose. Yes, even the light won't come on with a vacuum leak. I *think* the PCM has to see movent within the servo to turn on the light.
When you installed the brake light switch, did you pull the plunger out so it would compress when you release the pedal. That's how you adjust it.
But would that also keep the light from illuminating during bulb check/ignition on?

But would that also keep the light from illuminating during bulb check/ignition on?
I don't think the light comes on with key on.
You could hold down the odometer reset button and cycle the key 5 times (IIRC). That makes the gauges sweep like 20% at a time and does a full cluster test.
Admittedly, it's been a minute. But I'm pretty sure that's the way to do a cluster sweep/bulb test.

Ok, vacuum is fine. It has plenty at the cruise module and all lines are in great condition.

I have to suspect the switch or clock spring now and will see about testing them.

I believe it isn’t 12v at the switch but something like 5v? @Jody Treadway

Did you figure it out?
Bro we’ve driven this thing topless all over the NW mountains all summer and I haven’t taken it to read the data and determine if the PCM is seeing the “On” command yet but I will soon. Things are slowing down here and I’ll have more time to catch up on projects.

Back