06 F150 leveling kit

Tradarcher

I just picked up a new to me 06 F150 and would like to level it up. Not really interested in bigger tires but will probably go that route when I need new ones. Nothing crazy though. Would mostly like to increase approach angle and improve looks. The most offroad it will see is muddy access roads to hunting areas and maybe a washed out cutover path.
I've tried to search this site for info but there wasn't much. eBay has them from $20 for spacers to $250 for struts. I'm open to all responses but would really like to hear from those that have bought and installed a leveling kit. I am interested in things like ease of install and what to look out for with respect to install and what kits are best. Are there rust issues with hardware? I've seen some installs that used spring compressors and others that didn't.

All of the leveling kits I've seen for those trucks puts the upper ball joint at one helluva angle...

Personally have installed some leveling kits for others, (it's what they wanted, recommended against it but hey, it's their truck and their money) .. I like the Bilstein struts sigh adjustable height. Pretty simple design that just works. (Basically adjust coil bucket height on strut body).

Just checked out those Bilsteins. They aren't too expensive. Here is a pic of them installed and the ball joint doesn't look too stressed. Guy who took the pic indicated that it was set at 1.5".
65061d1321374495t-your-bilstein-5100-level-height-vote-front-shock2.jpg

I'm not talking about doing this. I'm talking maybe 2"
picture_php_pictureid_35166_b7ca034796317b1cab11557215bbeb9c19b3dacf.jpg

Found this image of 2" spacer installed.
2009kr-albums-2009kr_photos-picture159465-2-leveling-kit-truck-sitting-ground-scar-seen-spring.jpg

Here is what I want to avoid.
80-1024151602_9169ee083edaf0559052b753e5297b924294e712.jpg

80-1024151603_d9ca984ed0ba44f64fb07e0a81b4cd7ca8c5a5d7.jpg

I'd measure stock down travel and see how much it has. You'll lose however much you lift it in down travel. As long as it's got like 6", I think you'd be ok but it'd probably slightly accelerate wear on the upper joint as it will be operating within design spec but at a slightly different angle than normal. If those pics are with wheel removed, it's at full down travel and it'll be fine I'd say. Definitely not put spacers on if it was mine. I did to my customers truck but that's what he wanted and I told him about all that and put it on the invoice which is signed.

I’m glad I saw this thread. I was considering a leveling kit on my F150 as well. Didn’t realize the stress it put on the ball joints. It ain’t worth it.

I think those pics are when the wheel is removed and at full down travel thus maximum articulation of the joint.. 1.5" looks within reason but the spacer throws it way out.

When I did the google search I looked for images that were not drooped so all of the ones I posted indicated in the forum (where I found them) that they were off the jacks and under the weight of the truck. The Bilsteins are looking more and more doable.

I think 1.5" would be good. You have to remember that when you level it, your ride height is higher and you don't have as much droop before it runs out of travel.

Finally got around to doing something about this. I had to get tires so I shopped around on Craigslist and found some 2014 275/65/18 Goodyears on factory chrome rims with only 2000 miles. Got them for $800 and was pretty pleased since tires alone were gonna cost me nearly $800. I'm an opportunist and when new 3" Freedom Offroad struts for my model showed up on Craigslist close by I picked them up for $150. That's more than $100 off retail.
I went at this like it was gonna be easy. The first one was a PITA to get installed cause I didn't really know how to get it to droop enough to get the strut in. I did not disconnect the axle. Turns out an 18" wrecking bar and a bottle jack will help you get the bottom of the strut in place. The other side took less than 1/2 hour after I perfected getting the strut in.
At full droop the upper A arm does hit the spring. As you can see by the pic, static clearance appears to be good as does axle angle. Behind the wheel it definitely is apparent that the front end is higher and it does feel different driving. It's not harsh though. I really like the look. I didn't gain a full 3" but the difference between tire to wheel well clearance front to back is within 1/2". With stock tires and wheels I had trouble scraping the A arms and front crossmember when in a rutted farm path that was washed out. Kids used to say I had a "dad" truck. Not anymore. I like it.
IMG_5747.JPG
IMG_5745.JPG

Back