08 escalade 6.2 dies when towing, p0011 and p0016

ORV design and fab

So went to ivy branch for wheeling. Great time, just got a 08 escalade esv, 6.2 L94, coming home it died in the toll booth. Thanks to mold man, mac5005 for help pushing it so i wouldnt have to pay a tow bill. We checked codes, none, 1 hr later it fired up sputtered and i got on the road to a mechanic shop at the next exit in Beckley WV. , no issies found, but it wanted to die on the way there, wouldn't idle , got to the mechanic shop, idled fine, so we were thinking bad fuel in WV, filled tank with premium and octane booster. All thay crap. Got on the road. And one of my strap extra long came untied and was flapping in the wind. Had no issues other than it seemed the engine wanted to get hot randomly. Stopped and it died on me. 1/2 hr of playing with fuel rail and disconnecting the battery, primed the ign over and over. Laid hands on the brute and it cracked off and ran great the rest of the way home. This is my new family hauler so I want it right. So I took it to a shop I trust and they looked it over. Had some mis firing but nothing bad. They dismissed it as bad fuel and my wife drove it for 2 weeks, no problems. Before the storm I hooked to the trailer to help someone and taking it into Raleigh and 55mph and in tow mode, it started dieing on me and spark knocking like crazy
, I was close tot he mechanic shop I use so I barely got it there , spark knocking like crazy and dieing constantly. Got it there and got 2 codes. P0011 and p0016. What do yall think. After doing research i think im going to change the cam phase actuator. It seems like the actuator is sticking. Previous owner was mad OCD and had every oil change with full synthetic at every interval like clock work and I have hard copies of the invoices. Just not into swap nostics and wasting my money. If there is other things I can check, I'm not on the up and up on these engines, so any advice would be appreciated

Iirc, 0011 and 0016 are vvt codes. Wonder if the actuators have any recalls/tsbs or if maybe the timing chain guides gave up and jumped time..

I would check timing on the sprockets before changing the phasers out. If I understand right, it's very similar to the 5.4 setup, if not identical. I know the 5.4 phasers had issues. Also check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge as the phasers run off oil pressure. Should be able to check the solenoid/actuators with a scan tool / and or removing and inspecting.

Edit: Oops , saw 6.2 thought Ford. I'll look in my book and see if there's any tabs. I know some Chevy motors had actuator problems.

This engine does have VVT, but not flex fuel or cylinder cut out that I know of.

It has AFM/DOD. I just deleted a buddy of mine's 08 Escalade. His dropped a lifter, valve spring, and valve in Florida. Once he got it back home, he did the different cam, valley cover, timing cover, lifterd...etc. I took care of the ECM commands with HP Tuners.

Iirc, 0011 and 0016 are vvt codes. Wonder if the actuators have any recalls/tsbs or if maybe the timing chain guides gave up and jumped time..

I would check timing on the sprockets before changing the phasers out. If I understand right, it's very similar to the 5.4 setup, if not identical. I know the 5.4 phasers had issues. Also check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge as the phasers run off oil pressure. Should be able to check the solenoid/actuators with a scan tool / and or removing and inspecting.

Edit: Oops , saw 6.2 thought Ford. I'll look in my book and see if there's any tabs. I know some Chevy motors had actuator problems.
. Yes these are vvt codes, I got a shop swapping the actuator and harness, there was a service bulletin about the harness having issues and changing it when these issues arise. So it should be back together today and I’ll test it this weekend and see. If there is any other sdvise let me know, being my families dd I need it to be I. Top shape

Back