1/28 Work day...

ghost

Jsut got this and didn't see a thread so I thought I'd pass it along. I plan on attending and can pull the trailer I pulled last time if its available.

Hi Everyone – I went out to the trails today and flagged the areas that we’ll try to get armored this Saturday. We’ll meet at 9 am at Uwharrie Hunt Camp and get everyone signed up and then head over to Dutch John TH. We’ll have our Kubota Tractor at Dutch John TH and Steve Christenbury has agreed to help us out that day by loading up our trucks and trailers with the gravel that is at the parking lot. Also, if there are any folks that are chainsaw certified that are coming up please bring your stuff. With the rains last week a few new trees came down. If people have trail trailers and pick-ups that can be used to move the rock around that would be great.

We’ll have 4 groups of folks working on the following tasks:

1. Will work with armoring Wolf Den, Slab Pile & Dutch John Trail. There are about 9 areas to armor. Some will drained first with shovels, rakes, pulaskis, etc and then we’ll put the rock in them and some will just be getting rock put in them and then have vehicles drive over them to pack the rock.

2. Install orange diamonds with trail #s on them and install some No Vehicle signs.

3. Clearing trees and brush along the trails and cutting back brush along trails.

4. Picking up trash at trailheads and along trails.

We’ll have the following opened that we’ll need to make sure we close and lock when we’re all done. Dutch John TH, Wolf Den TH and Art Lilley – FR 516 that leads to this TH. We’ll need to be done and off the trails back at Dutch John TH at 2 pm so I can get the FS tools back & FOU can get tools back and then there is a FOU board meeting and nominating committee meeting at 3 pm that many of us need to get to right after we get all the tools back in time for us to make the meeting.

Additional hand tools to make sure folks bring this weekend are shovels, garden rakes, pulaskis, chainsaws, loppers, pole saws & hammers to put up the orange diamonds. I don’t know if someone is going to go over to the FOU barn ahead of time or not. Can someone from FOU contact me to let me know if you’ll be getting additional loppers, pole saws, etc. from the barn. I’ll have some shovels, loppers, pulaskis, hammers, nails, and fire rakes for us to use for the draining of mud holes & to cut back the brush.

Also, if any club has their adopt a trail and volunteer forms for their clubs ready you can bring them on Saturday and turn them in. Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate it. Bye - Terry

Agreed. Hauled a lot of rock. Only cut short by the loader disappearing.... What was up with that? Also, we should have one or tow guys go with each load hauler. I know Morgan had to unload by himself once Saturday. I don't think I've worked that hard with a shovel in a long time!

Agreed. Hauled a lot of rock. Only cut short by the loader disappearing.... What was up with that? Also, we should have one or tow guys go with each load hauler. I know Morgan had to unload by himself once Saturday. I don't think I've worked that hard with a shovel in a long time!

The loader sprung a bad hydraulic leak, fluid was leaking out at a pretty fast rate when it was loading my truck the second time. Yeah, having a couple people accompany each hauling vehicle would be a good idea, unloading that first load was rough! The second load was great though, had a few people helping me, it went fast! That was a ton of shovel work! Sure would have liked a dump bed or dump trailer!!! : )

I wondered what happened to the loader....

Back