1 Plane, 24 hours, 1200 miles

lomodyj

Got on a plane in Raleigh, NC at 12:30 PM on Tuesday. After 2 stops I landed in Oklahoma City, OK at 6:00 PM. Met with the seller, walked around the truck, swapped check for keys, followed him to WallyWorld where I picked up a couple bottles of water, some Gatoraid, a cheap 100 pc socket/screwdriver set, a cooler, some "breakfast bars" and some paper towel. Took the first picture at 7:10 PM. Jumped on I 40 and headed east. Waved at Tinker AFB (sister-in-law's birthplace). Stopped just out of OKC and filled up the main tank with 24 gallons of diesel and added 10 to the auxillary tank. Set the cruise control on 75 and rolled. Waved at Bill and Diane in Henryetta, Chris in Fort Smith AR, WILL in Conway, Aunt Nancy and Ol' Carl in Little Rock. Bedded down in the front seat at a Petro just past Little Rock for a couple of restless hours of sleep in the front seat. Gobbled down some trucker food at the Iron Skillet and hit the road again. Waved at Other Chris in Memphis, TN, somebody (I can't remeber who) in Jackson, a couple of people in Nashville, Toad in Knoxville, LoneWolf in Asheville, NC, Chris (another) in Hickory. Stopped and showed the truck off to CaverDave in Winston-Salem, then home by 8:30 PM. Parked it in the drive and took the second picture. Grabbed a beer on my way through the garage, said all the pleasantries to The Loveley Jeep Wife, sat down on the couch and fell asleep...

The New JeePullr:

1996 Dodge 3500 CTD
5spd, LWB, CCab
1456772-Dodge_0001.jpg

1456772-Dodge_0002.jpg

So the Ford and Camper HAVE to go...

Niiice! Welcome to the correctly-valved CTD club.. Looks like it's got an exhaust too?

Glad you're happy with it.. What did the PO say about the KDP?

P.S. If those tires are 235/85-16, your speedo reads 5mph slower than your road speed @ 60. Your cruise control at 75 was probably about 81. ;)

Might wanna re-locate that block heater cord to come out between the grille & the front bumper, so it doesn't get knocked off or a bunch of crud in it..

It would fit the CTD, but I currently have an aux. 60 gallon tank in the bed and I'll be setting this one up for grease...taking up some of the bed room. The Lovely Jeep Wife actually likes the tentmahal I got her better than the camper...

The camper is designed to fit a long bed pickup (~8' bed) if it would fit your J-10, make me a reasonable offer.

Rich said:
Niiice! Welcome to the correctly-valved CTD club.. Looks like it's got an exhaust too?
It's the only valve count I was looking for. It's a poser 4" exhaust, it's 3" back to the turn out...then 4". That will likely be the first major upgrade.

Rich said:
Glad you're happy with it.. What did the PO say about the KDP?
He didn't know anything about it...It looks like the cover bolts have had a wrench on them...but the gasket looks like it might be original. I'm thinking I'll grab the gaskets neccesary and just go in and see if it's been tabbed, if not, then I will.

Rich said:
P.S. If those tires are 235/85-16, your speedo reads 5mph slower than your road speed @ 60. Your cruise control at 75 was probably about 81. ;)
LT215/85r16 cheap tires...I think there is 5 different brands on it...Starting the search for new now. How you like those BFG's you got?

Rich said:
Might wanna re-locate that block heater cord to come out between the grille & the front bumper, so it doesn't get knocked off or a bunch of crud in it..

There are several things that I need to do, the last owner, who's had it for 2 years was kinda a slob (just looking under the seats showed that) and didn't do alot in the way of "upkeep". Washer bottle was full of water, windshied wipers flap around. Fog light wires hanging down under the dash. Dead battery in the keyless remote. Brand new stereo, but the pass rear speaker wasn't hooked up (I just fixed that, can't tell why it wasn't). Block heater cord. The bug deflector was supposed to have 6 screws holding it on...he lost 3 on one side and just left it flapping on there, so there is a spot on the hood where the paint is missing...Stupid stuff like that...

About a year ago he had the battery on the Pass side "explode". There are some spots on the paint that got eaten by the acid. There is a relay below the battery that also has some damage. Do you know what it is for? I might change it out just because.

Any recomendations on oil? is there a brand that this motor likes? Dino or Synthetic?

What is it about CTD's? People don't take care of them. Rich's truck was pretty nasty in the "I don't care about it" way.

Nice,
I would be interested to see how your grease conversion goes.

etjeep said:
Nice,
I would be interested to see how your grease conversion goes.
I'll get to it, but it's gonna be a little while. Buying the truck, plane ticket, $200 in fuel to get it home, $300 in fluids and filters at the AP today...has me a bit tapped for cash. But I'll be switching, looking for all the "legal" paperwork for it now.

Nice Rig!! Now you should be able to tow both your Jeeps!!!!

Rob said:
What is it about CTD's? People don't take care of them. Rich's truck was pretty nasty in the "I don't care about it" way.

They use 'em as trucks, and not glorified grocery getters. The noise, rough ride, etc... all seems to keep the soccer mommies at bay, so you get alot more work trucks out there.

I saw plenty of really nice, clean trucks, but I was willing to put up with the roughness because it had that super duper (piece of shit) ATS transmission in it... :rolleyes:

Rosmella? no thanks. peee-ew!

It's truly personal preference. Any of the diesel-rated oils are fine, but do NOT use gasser oil.. it will plug up the breathers.

Personally, mine gets Mobil Delvac 1300. It also happens to be one of the least expensive of the name brand oils. I spend more on the oil filter though.. Fleetguard Stratpore. There's a Cummins dealer in g-boro on 40, but I usually order a few oil & fuel filters from Geno's at the same time..

My oil gets put on the "to do list" around 7500 miles, and winds up being changed around 8000-10000 miles. Oil has come quite a ways since the manual was written, and there's plenty of guys with far more miles than my truck who do 10k intervals.

I keep meaning to get an analysis of the oil, but ignorance is bliss..

I went with the Amsoil (I like their stuff and the owners are good people) 15w-40 and a CarQuest filter (Wix). Plan on running oil and filter for 3000miles then swapping both, hopefully cleaning out whatever the P/O had in it. Then going to the 10,000 mile oil changes with a 3-5K filter change.

Do you know if the Cummins place in GSO has a store to get parts from? I'm thinking of pulling apart the front end and checking/doing the KDP tab. And would rather a drive to GSO then order the parts on line...Know where the Cummins place in GSO is?

lomodyj said:
I went with the Amsoil (I like their stuff and the owners are good people) 15w-40 and a CarQuest filter (Wix). Plan on running oil and filter for 3000miles then swapping both, hopefully cleaning out whatever the P/O had in it. Then going to the 10,000 mile oil changes with a 3-5K filter change.

Do you know if the Cummins place in GSO has a store to get parts from? I'm thinking of pulling apart the front end and checking/doing the KDP tab. And would rather a drive to GSO then order the parts on line...Know where the Cummins place in GSO is?

Galen,
Good news, the Cummins store is on the east side of GSO.
http://www.cumminsatlantic.com/northcarolina.htm#greensboro
I've never been in there, I just ordered a few filters from Geno's when I installed all my gauges. You know you're gonna mail order some bombing mods, might as well add a few filters to your order :p

Rotella really does stink for a few 100 miles or so. I can tolerate it, especially since I bought a case of it. I don't know about the Wix filter. If you read DTR enough, you'll be paranoid to use anything but a Stratapore.
Don't forget the fuel filter. Its probaly not as important on you're 12V compared to my 24V, but way more important than any gasser. :smokin:

Back