1 ton steering install help

jyaks

Too many kids for a TJ
I have a 2000 TJ that I bought a 1 ton under the knuckle steering kit from Barnes. I need help with cutting and welding it together in the Clayton/Raleigh area. I can cut the dom but would rather someone with more than a grinder help out. I dont have a welder so need help one day. My schedule is pretty open and I know this won't take very long.

Let me know if you are availble either to help or have questions before signing up. Can bring beer of your flavor or some money if I have too.

If I was closer I would love to help. It’s really a simple install. If you just cut it with about half the threads in each side for plenty of adjustment, you can carry it to a welding shop and they’d probably weld it for a $20 bill.

if you have it welded in any other process then tig, be sure you will need to chase the threads.. I'd help if you were closer also.

if you have it welded in any other process then tig, be sure you will need to chase the threads.. I'd help if you were closer also.

Not true.

Cover the Tre in antiseize,
Weld the bungs with TRE/heim threaded in,

Immediately after finishing the weld, quickly unscrew the Tre and drop into cool water.

The only time I have ever had an issue and needed to chase threads was after welding bungs to tubing with Tig and no ends threaded into the bung.

The shrink closed the tolerance of the threads and made it impossible to install heim without chasing the threads.

Several people in/around Raleigh should be able to do this.

@stinkbomb NTK fabworks.

I would take @yager up on his offer, and enjoy your time with him. If you haven’t met him, you couldn’t ask for a better dude to turn some wrenches with and some good conversation!

If you haven’t met him, you couldn’t ask for a better dude to turn some wrenches with and some good conversation!
This is why I wanted to post here and not just some random shop. I have had good experience when meeting people from here and would to know more of y'all. My list of friends that wheel gets shorter every time I talk to someone.

Not true.

Cover the Tre in antiseize,
Weld the bungs with TRE/heim threaded in,

Immediately after finishing the weld, quickly unscrew the Tre and drop into cool water.

The only time I have ever had an issue and needed to chase threads was after welding bungs to tubing with Tig and no ends threaded into the bung.

The shrink closed the tolerance of the threads and made it impossible to install heim without chasing the threads.

Several people in/around Raleigh should be able to do this.

@stinkbomb NTK fabworks.

Thanks for sharing.

40C6D310-CC4C-4EDC-ACF4-AD3BC418E929.jpeg
3C8C9480-DC36-498D-B96B-6C2641458F3C.jpeg

Back