$14k to spend on a tow rig...what should I look for

If you get it.....id put a fass or air dog on it to keep the IP happy.

anyway to check if its a 53 block by the vin number? I just ask because the guy I am getting the dodge from is out of town this week and I dont think I can see the 53 stamp without opening the hood and I would like to have an idea before he comes back...or can i crawl under the truck and check somehow?

It's easier to see from underneath.

went and checked it as best I could in the rain with no flash light...I didnt find anything but a long series of numbers on the left side of the block and nothing on the right side but I am still unsure if I was checking in the right spots. I just basically felt all along the bottom of the block on both sides above the oil pan.

If you lay 0n the ground and look up with a flashlight you should see the casting numbers pretty clear

the digits are about 1" high, they would be hard to miss. There's still time to check the block when the owner can open the hood in daylight, no?

the digits are about 1" high, they would be hard to miss. There's still time to check the block when the owner can open the hood in daylight, no?

yes there is but I guess Im confused..Do all blocks have a 2 digit number? Seems I read in an article that if it has a row of numbers its a certain block, not a 53 though. Is this incorrect?

http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

I got this from the first paragraph on this page. I found a series of numbers but no 2 digit number.

Back