1960 Ford Fairlane 500

frankenyoter

No Rain, No Rainbow
I ended up trading a few guns and some cash for a 1960 Fairlane 500. It’s a 4 door and now my problem.

It was located in Biscoe NC. After a 10 hr trip and finally seeing the URE trailhead etc it arrived in beautiful WNC

The guy I got it from bought it at an estate sale of a shop. Lots of really nice cars were sold and he picked this car up.

To save time, he thinks it was a mechanics lien that caused this car to sit. I found a registration that expired in 99 in the glove box and the window sticker was 2004. Based on everything I think it’s sat for darn near 20 years after being redone.

Not sure why I bought this other than I’ve always wanted something old. I grew up in a 71 C10. Long story short, my dad gave the truck away (tax wrote off - fuck you Oboma) after he have it to me.

So here I am with a car I didn’t know I wanted and did not need. But it’s cool and old so…

From the sale add that haunted me for a couple weeks

IMG_2505.png

I ended up trading a few guns and some cash for a 1960 Fairlane 500. It’s a 4 door and now my problem.

It was located in Biscoe NC. After a 10 hr trip and finally seeing the URE trailhead etc it arrived in beautiful WNC

The guy I got it from bought it at an estate sale of a shop. Lots of really nice cars were sold and he picked this car up.

To save time, he thinks it was a mechanics lien that caused this car to sit. I found a registration that expired in 99 in the glove box and the window sticker was 2004. Based on everything I think it’s sat for darn near 20 years after being redone.

Not sure why I bought this other than I’ve always wanted something old. I grew up in a 71 C10. Long story short, my dad gave the truck away (tax wrote off - fuck you Oboma) after he have it to me.

So here I am with a car I didn’t know I wanted and did not need. But it’s cool and old so…
Wish I would have known you were in biscoe I would have met you for a Bojangles or something. It’s only a little up the road from me.

It took me 4 hours today to manage to change the ignition switch. Kept the original key and cylinder.

It’s running.

I suspect the fuel pump is crap. It won’t run unless I dump fuel into the carb. So I think it’s running off vacuum to get fuel. Also it’s running off a lawn mover tank. I plan to investigate the actual fuel tank soon.

And it’s not charging. Wipers don’t work and the list goes on.
IMG_2829.jpeg

Wish I would have known you were in biscoe I would have met you for a Bojangles or something. It’s only a little up the road from me.
I was suffering from allergies and my only stop was at Lexington BBQ aside from one fuel stop on way home.

At one point on 40 on my way back I think I sneezed 10 times in a row and thought I was going to crash.

That should have a mechanical fuel pump. You probably know that. Looks good?
Nothing to indicate an issue. I haven’t have much to time diagnose anything. It just won’t start back if if I shut it off. Splash of gas in the carb and it’s running.

They have a mech pump with a glass fuel bowl (at least they did on the ‘55 292 we have). They are easy to block off and run a simple frame mounted electric pump tho.
Yep, I’m thinking electrical is the way to go. Money well spent.

They have a mech pump with a glass fuel bowl (at least they did on the ‘55 292 we have). They are easy to block off and run a simple frame mounted electric pump tho.
I've thought about putting an electric on my 84 F150 but that requires me to try and wire it up and figure out how to make it work.

When I had my cruiser my mechanical pump developed a leak. I bought a new mech pump. It leaked worse than the the old one. Returned it, made a block off plate and ran electric.

I’d think electric might be best on the Fairlane because it’s seven miles from the tank to the pump. Lots of cranks to bring fuel to the carb whereas a second of electric pump…

View attachment 403496

But it’s a single year body car so for that reason I think it’s super cool.
Join this club they are on FB also. They can help you find the really hard to find parts. I had two 1963 Fairlane's and they were hard to find parts for.

Glad you started a build thread don't worry about getting it to run and drive be irresponsible and order some bags, compressor ,cups, valves, dot air lines, fittings and I vote portawalls

So a buddy just got his 57 willys high hood on the road and he called me in distress, broke down in the turn lane.

I went to get the Fairlane off the trailer to rescue him and apparently the park function didn’t hold. As the strap unloaded the car rolled back. Cut a tire and the A arm got hung hung on the metal that holds the brake light. Weight of the car resting in the bumper to the passenger rear trailer tire.

It was a 2 hour event with blocks and BS but it’s on the ground safely without any further issue.

I’m ready for Monday so I can relax and not work so hard.

Back