1976 c30 Cummins swap

firetoy

Got a deal on a Cummins motor and sold the big block so doing another Cummins swap. Think I have 3 swaps going on in the shop right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1377015890162.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377015898832.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377015909565.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377015921364.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that truck! Pure '70s gold. Clean job on the swap, too. That's going to be a brutal rig when it's done. Are you goign to leave it with the dated decor, or update the exterior?

Side question: Would you ever consider a 6bt swap in a K10 (V10 Suburban, 87) frame, or is that just too much weight/torque for a 1/2 ton Chevy frame?

Personally, I wouldn't do it in a 1/2 ton frame. Of course, with some plating and bracing, etc....why not? The material isn't much thicker on a K30, just taller and a little stiffer.

I love the 6BT in mine, couldn't drive one that didn't have one now. I want to pick up another one and do another swap, run an Allison, and fab up some twins, but you know as well as I do how expensive it can get. It'll nickel and dime you to death if you're not careful. I still think it's worth it in the end. Only thing is I kinda wish I had been able to find a p-pump motor, but mine still does juuuuust fine.

I'm jealous of his mirrors and that'd make one helluva sleeper truck :D

I think a half ton would hold up fine. Big block chevy is 800 pounds. I wouldn't use it to tow heavy.

Not planning on heavy towing. Camper duty. I'd like to see it able to handle 8k after axle and brake upgrades, though. Just weighing my options. Rebuild and mod my TBI 350, 5.3 LS motor, Cummins. Looking for mileage and relative simplicity. I'd really like to see a mild 5.3 in there. If I could get 20mpg out of it, I'd be tickled pink. Anyway, sorry about the 'jack. You seemed like the guy to ask, though!

got the motor all hooked up, just need to clean out tanks and pull tranny to it have built.

What tranny are you using? I read where you couldn't put a Cummins in a 2wd with out a body lift. Have you had any fitment issues? How about the engine cross member, did you have to build one? I would love to have one of these trucks & would consider selling my 98 dodge 3500 for one of them.

What's a Cummings?

They fit pretty well in a 2wd truck. Never seen anybody that had to do a body lift with one either. They're a tight fit, but it looks great when it's done.

Just giving you a hard time :D

No body lift. You have to notch cross member for harmonic balancer. Its a tight fit but actually fits good.

Almost done with this project. Just waiting on the tranny to come back from the tranny shop. Also got a deal on a triple disk converter. Having it checked and clean out.

Very nice, do mine next! :D

I'm jealous of his mirrors and that'd make one helluva sleeper truck :D
Those are the same mirrors that were originally on my truck (narrow trails, tree limbs etc made quick work of those hence the smaller mirrors that are on it now), now those holes up top are just plugged up, those are impossible to find with the correct brackets these days.

I know! I want something for my K30 because these stock mirrors aint cuttin it when I haul a trailer! Half tempted to make the 99 up Silverado/Sierra tow mirrors fit the stock mounts :D

Should be rolling today.

Drove the truck home and it did awesome. Drove it back to work this morning and the tranny went out.

What trans did you use? 47RH?

yeah, had it rebuilt and everything. starting to second guess the decision to run an automatic. but should have it back together tomorrow.

I've always opted for manual transmissions myself for the same reason. A strong diesel with an automatic is an awesome feeling though, it'll just pull like a freight train! When the transmissions works, that is :D

Nice build Tim. I came up and picked up a dually bed for my friend a while back and you had a rat rod you were building. Any progress on it? Looked sweet!

Getting back on it. These other projects have taken up my time.

Back