1985 4Runner 22RE Manual (Missing, ~2k-2.6k RPM)

Altonymous

Lost Wheelin'
I picked up a 1985 4Runner SR5 (manual, 22RE). It had a refurbished 22RE motor swapped in, but the truck has been missing since I got it. I have been trying to track down the issue, and haven't had any luck yet. I've been scouring the forums looking for things to check.

Issues: Missing/Stutter ~2k-2.6k RPM

So far I've checked/verified/replaced/done the following:
- AFM - Checked, was bad and replaced.
- TPS - Checked and adjusted to in spec
- Wires, Plugs, Distributor Replaced (When I replaced the distributor I set to 5 degrees BTDC)
- Pulled the Throttle Body and Upper Intake Manifold and cleaned them
- Pulled the valve cover and adjusted the valves.
- Checked the timing, it bounces around a bit but seems to be staying with 12 degrees at idle
- Adjusted idle to ~750RPM
- Replaced the vacuum hoses (I still think there might be a leak, but I can't pinpoint it.)
- Checked the injectors, all reading 2.5 OHMs, also listened to them and they are all ticking like I'd expect when idling
- Compression Test shows 161-165 psi on all 4 cylinders (warm).
- Replaced the Knock Sensor. CEL is gone! (Still have the miss)
- Tested the ignitor and coil (minus the dry cell battery test) and it looks good.
- Fuel pressure while jumpered 38psi, while idling vacuum regulator hose pulled and plugged @40psi, and with regulator hose on @30psi, pressure remained above 21psi while off for over 5 minutes (Even increased a couple PSI.
- Replaced the injectors and redid the wiring. No more miss!

I think at this point all I have left is to look into is electrical issues. Is there anywhere else I should possibly look before I go down that route?

Any advice on which direction I should go and advice on order I should approach things?

Last edited:
What does the timing do as you rev it?

How did the timing chain look/feel? Old, new, slack, good?

replace the ignition coil, it work and tests well, but its breaking down internally. Mine did similar oh so many years ago, i finally put an ACCEL Super Stock coil in it ( fits stock bracket) and it ran SO much better, no more breaking up

Changed the plugs and the ignition coil today. The misfire is a LOT better, but it's still there.. just in a different spot now. Only around 2800 RPMs now.

The truck was feeling sluggish so I swapped back in the old ignition coil to see if that was it.. It's running better again but the 2800 RPM miss is still there.

On the downside, the exhaust has started popping now. :/

TLDR: Changed spark plugs.. made the miss better, but still there and now exhaust is popping.

I think I can hear a leak around the exhaust manifold when driving.. but when it's idling I can't hear it.. so it's hard to track down if it exists.

Figured out what caused the new problems.. it was me.

Forgot to plug back in injector #2 connector. (I was building a harness last night to test the injector spray.) Now that it's plugged back in, all the new problems are gone and the misfire is back.

Guess that means my misfire is probably something to do with #2... I'm thinking injector right now.

Flush the injectors and it may clear up. Although in my experience, clogged injectors will either a) miss 100% or b) miss at lower rpm and clear out at higher rpm. Leak down test to check for coolant leak into combustion chambers? The ignitor may be faulty, have seen that once or twice. There is also a 'dwell' adjustment on the rotor to pickup clearance. Check that too.

Flush the injectors and it may clear up. Although in my experience, clogged injectors will either a) miss 100% or b) miss at lower rpm and clear out at higher rpm. Leak down test to check for coolant leak into combustion chambers? The ignitor may be faulty, have seen that once or twice. There is also a 'dwell' adjustment on the rotor to pickup clearance. Check that too.

When I pulled the plug on the injector for cyl #2 the misfire went away.. I'm thinking it's related to that cylinder right now. I'm planning to test the injectors this weekend, built the harness just need to get the time.

You'll have to flow test them all and note quantity delivered vs time. You can run fuel injector cleaner mixed with fuel to flush while testing flow.

You'll have to flow test them all and note quantity delivered vs time. You can run fuel injector cleaner mixed with fuel to flush while testing flow.

Yeah, that's the plan. I'm going to use a fuel injection tester to deliver the same quantity and measure the PSI drop. I figure I can do this against all of them to see if there are any that are abnormal.

Doesn't sound like it's your problem here, but trace the wires from the injectors down to the splices. My 87 had some corrosion on the factory splices, I redid them and it started running way better.

Doesn't sound like it's your problem here, but trace the wires from the injectors down to the splices. My 87 had some corrosion on the factory splices, I redid them and it started running way better.

Yeah I may end up doing that either way.. looks like some shoddy splice work going on in there.

Back