1985 4runner build

93toy

Here's the back story. Always loved Toyotas. I've had multiple Toyota 4x4's over the years and loved them all, but I always had a soft spot for the 1st gen 4runners. In 2008 I decided it was time to track one down for a build.
The first one I bought was a really rough 1987 SR5. It had a 3.0 auto (that had been removed by the previous owner) and quite a bit of body rust. But I picked it up dirt cheap, so I bought it. Here's Fred:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02804.jpg

Fred was great, and he's gonna make a great trail beater, but I wanted something a little nicer and something I could semi-restore. So I watched Craigslist and some of the local auto trading papers for a few months until I found what I REALLY wanted. A 1985 4runner SR5. Found it locally with 307,000 miles. Solid frame, fair amount of body rust but not too far gone. Needed some little things but the rear window worked, the original SR5 interior was in great shape, it ran good, and I loved it from day one. Factory A/C, factory sunroof, power windows, etc. It was pretty loaded for 1985. Here's Tyrone the day he came home:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02852_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02856.jpg

Here he is after his first bath:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02857.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02864_1.jpg

So here was the plan. To build a 4runner the way I would have in 1985. I was 15 in 1985 and it wasn't gonna happen then, but it could now. I won't lie to you guys. I love capable off road trucks, but I also love BIG, lifted trucks. And while Tyrone is being built to take off road on occasion, there was no need for lockers and twin sticks because he won't get into anything that rough. That's what Fred is for. So call it what you want, but he's being built how I want him. I guess you could call it 1/2 restoration, 1/2 built for forest service/fire roads.
So first things first. I did all of the tune-up and maintenance needs. Plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, new radiator, hoses, pcv valve, filters, oil pump seal, front main seal, vacuum lines, etc. (Previous owner had changed the head gasket recently) Now he was running pretty good. So I went inside and gutted the interior. Put a basic Kenwood stereo in, changed all dash lights to blue LED, steam cleaned all of the seats, removed the carpet and replaced with a new gray vinyl floor kit, and scrubbed like crazy. Then back outside again for all new front brake rotors and pads.
Eveything was going pretty good so it was time for a few mods. First up was a 4 inch Pro Comp suspension lift. Tyrone got a little attitude:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02936.jpg

Then I added a 2 inch RB body lift and some 5.29 gears. So it was time for some rubber in the form of 35x15x15 bias Swampers on 15x10 AR Outlaw II's. (Doesn't get more 80's than that!!)
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC01257.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC01263.jpg

And his first time with the top off:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03020.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03018.jpg

You'll also notice the rust around the left rear quarter and front fenders. I knew it was time to address it. The entire right rear quarter had been replaced at some point which explains the lack of SR5 striping on the right. So I made a few calls and tracked down a solid left rear quarter. Had a friend cut out the old and put in the new. Then in preparation for paint I got two new (re-pop) fenders and a new hood. I took off all of the fender trim, the windshield trim, the horrid (see 1990's) stainless rocker trim and the other trim at the very bottom of the body and sent it in to the body man. He worked on the dents and straightend Tyrones panels out. I had him remove the rock guards ahead of the rear tires and weld shut the holes where they mounted. (3M clear bra will go in it's place later) The windshield was pulled and extensive work was done around the opening to fix mild rust. Once the windshield is replace it will have a universal rubber trim piece installed. Anyway, here he is after bodywork:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03133.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03131.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03127.jpg

He's gettin there!
(By the way, that's a 4xinnovations front bumper.)
And here he was in the paint booth for final prep:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03140.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03143.jpg

Windshield detail:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03155.jpg

A few more pics. One with his brother:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02881.jpg

And the evolution:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02855.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02864_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC01263.jpg

Fixed lots of little mechanical issues (pinion seal, output seal, new exhaust, replacing weatherstrips, picked up another sunroof, new tail lights, etc). Got the All-Pro rear bumper on, rebuilt front axle. Got s new windshield installed with rubber gasket too. Still have to install temp, oil pressure gauges on the A-pillar mount and rebuild Aisin hubs. It will never be done, but I love it! First coat of wax (after clay-barred) today. Mall crawler driveway shots, but I haven't had him out yet!
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03252.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03250.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03255.jpg

And some before and after shots.....same angle
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02855.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03257.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02854.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03258.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC02856.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03259.jpg

More to come!

yeah man thats awesome!Just waiting to see how long it takes for that purty black paint to get scratched lol!

Damn that's nice!!!!!

You ditched the stainless rockers?!?! Say it ain't so man. Just kidding, that is one of the sharpest 1st gens I've seen. One of my customers has an 86 that at last count was pushing somewhere around 23k into it. I am still trying to get him to take it to URE.

Clean runner man.

dude that is a badass 4runner. Dont go mess it up and wheel that thing because it is way to nice!! Just put some mudders and weld the rearend up on that maroon one and go dog it when u get the itch!!

dude!!!! that red one is AMAZING!!!! sooo clean

the black one is a turd :D

nice runners man

btw 87 3.0??? i thought the 3.slow came out in 88???

nice looking runner, and dont worry im turning my 86 into a mall crawler too, i went and bough an 84 to bang up, btw what did you paint the top with, it looks really good

Nice build up! Do you plan on dressing up the interior to be as nice as the exterior?

nice looking runner, and dont worry im turning my 86 into a mall crawler too, i went and bough an 84 to bang up, btw what did you paint the top with, it looks really good

To tell you the truth I'm not sure. I've done most of the work myself with the exception of gears (Thanks RLPSaleen!) and the paint/bodywork. When the painter had it, I told him I didn't want the top to match the body. I wanted some contrast (flat instead of gloss) and I wanted it to be textured and not smooth. I liked the result!

Nice build up! Do you plan on dressing up the interior to be as nice as the exterior?

All I've done to the interior is the blue LED's to the dash, all new gray vinyl flooring and the A pillar gauges (oil pressure/coolant temp). The SR5 seats just needed a good steam cleaning and they looked good. I doubt I'll do much more inside, everything cleaned up nice and looks pretty good. I'll try to post some interior pics soon.

Veryyyy Niceee!!!!! where did you get the updated rubber trim for the windsheild at?

Once it came out of paint and I was having the new windshield installed I told the "glass guy" I wanted a universal rubber molding and showed him a picture of one a guy had done on Yotatech. He found what I needed, good to go!

A few updates.
Got the gauges installed. Water temp and oil pressure.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03316.jpg

Freshly rebuilt Aisin's.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03309.jpg

Windows tinted. 35% doors, 20% on the top.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03313.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v513_SSC89_DSC03306.jpg

More to come!!

wow this thing is super sexy. nicest 1st gen SA i have ever seen. if i was you, the farthest i would take it off the pavement is to check the mail. that is a super nice runner. i think a nice set of Corbeau buckets in the front and a Corbeau bench in teh back would look sick. awesome runner my friend. nothin wrong with a perdy truck

Thanks guys, I never meant to build it that nice, but the body/paint guys made it better than I had anticipated. (Especially for what I paid for the work they did!) I love it though, it's a blast to drive.

I like the Corbeau seat idea. Hmmmm..........here we go again!

Back