1985 F250 diesel 4x4 as tow rig?

TeamSpatula

Howdy y'all...I just got back from a week at the beach with the wife & family, and had a guy email me about my 64 Ford Falcon I'm selling. He was interested in trading for a 1986 Ford F250 truck, diesel, 4x4, extended cab, with 163,000 miles on it...any thoughts on that as a tow rig? Seems like it ought to be able to pull a Jeep & trailer pretty easily, and get better mileage than a gas truck...anything I ought to look at in particular?
I hadn't been actively looking for a tow rig, but if this one falls into my lap, then it might work out pretty well...

Should be the 7.3l.
Its supposed to be a good engine. I think Caver's Ford was somewhat similar to the one you are describing. I am sure he will chime in...
It will be nice for you to have a tow rig,
Then you can tow mine to the trails.:flipoff2:

Thats going to be a non turbo 6.9 IDI if its an auto it will have a C6 tranny. I have a 89 and it does a good job towing my CJ 7

Yeah, 6.9 IDI. We've got one in our dump truck. Its torquey, but not fast. No idea on the mpg though.

try looking at www.thedieselstop.com you will find a ton of good info in the forums page. As far as mileage mine gets something like 10-12 mpg with my Jeep and trailer behind it. just give it some room to get up to speed LOL shes no race car :driver:

A 85 6.9 is a decent engine however the new 15 ppm ULSD fuel is gonna play havoc on the "o" rings and seals on the nozzles, fuel tubes, and injection pump unless they have already been replaced with viton rubber "o" rings and seals. Its not the most powerful engine but its pretty reliable.

The IDI 7.3 was introduced in 1987.

if it does have the c6 (3 speed, no o.d.) and 4.10 gears, then your fuel mileage is going to suck pretty bad, towing or not....it will tow your rig better that way though....

oh, one nice thing about the 6.9 is that you don't really have much of a concern with cavitation like the 7.3 idi that replaced it....

Back