1994 Dodge Dakota cutting out

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
My 94 Dakota sat for almost 2 years after it was wrecked. Got it all put back together and now I'm having an intermittent problem with the engine cutting out at ~1800 rpms, and kicking back in when it drops to ~1400 rpms. It's not constant and seems to happen when its low (not out) on gas. Say 1/4 tank or less. Sometimes if I keep driving a while itll clear up, or if I shut it off and restart, but not always. Runs fine as long as I keep it under that rpm.

I'm thinking maybe something in the gas like water or trash maybe, but I havent ruled out ignition yet. Anyone else had this problem?

What engine? 4cyl or v6?

Fuel pressure.. check it with a gauge, under the conditions that cause the issue.

Ignition system - inspect it if fuel pressure checks out - distributor cap, rotor button & coil specifically.

What engine? 4cyl or v6?

Fuel pressure.. check it with a gauge, under the conditions that cause the issue.

Ignition system - inspect it if fuel pressure checks out - distributor cap, rotor button & coil specifically.
It's the 3.9 V6. I'll go rent a gauge and check it this week I guess. Thanks.

Think I fixed it. Put a half tank of gas in it with some fuel system cleaner and took it out for a drive, still cutting out. But this time it threw a fault code "24 - TPS voltage out of normal range". So I swapped the TPS off only 94 ZJ on it and drove for about 45 minutes with no problems.

Wasnt throwing a code before, but I see how it not reading the throttle right would be a problem.

Back