1995 454 / 7.4 Oil cooler ??

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Ok My engine has a factory oil cooler. It uses a low profile adapters on the pan rail of the engine block. The hoses have partial hard lines that have a ~sorta quick connect end that inserts into a block adapter. The adapter threads into the block just forward of the oil filter boss.. (There are 2 ports, IN/OUT)

I wasn't 100% sure how it all came apart so I unthreaded the block adapters and they came out easy enough.. the rear adapter was slighly different and I noticed part of a plastic pices was missing from the end.. (1/2" diameter maybe) SO upon further inspection I found part of it still in the block. I was able to remove it np. But now my delema is, what is this thing?

It looks like it partially blocks flow from 1 passage in the block and divert it to the cooler etc.. It does not appear that it moves when its installed..

Is it required ? Factory only item?

Anyone have one of these apart ? Can't believe GM would use a small plastic part in the oil system..

Voodoo ? Chase ? any ideas.. I plan to hit the dealer on Monday and see if they can get it... Be helpful to know what it is at least...

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you are looking at.

I just got home and not thinking clearly ( tired)

Call me when you get a chance, Mom said I can go out and play Sunday.

pic of insert. Ill crawl under truck later for block pics..

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 747
WOW this one about kicked my but... Really pushing my intarweb bloodhound skillz...
But this looks like its it...
-------------------------------
15637095 Oil Cooler Line Kit "Gen VI"
This oil cooler line kit is used on "Gen VI" big-block engines on late model pickup trucks. These fittings are the late model snap-on design. Small Image
Technical Notes: This kit includes oil line P/N 12472269, oil line P/N 12472268, fitting P/N 15718022, and fitting P/N 15718023.
------------------------

i found an old ebay add for the 1 fitting 15718022 with a pic of the plastic thing... looks like it comes with the fitting... At least i know what to order now..

magical-oil-line-adapter.jpg

Flow restrictor to not send all the oil through the cooler?

Back