1999 XJ Limited Build

jaredalv85

Merry Christmas! I just found this forum and thought I would share my build as it has progressed. Sadly I haven't gotten the chance to take her out wheeling yet...but that will change come 2021!!

Boring backstory...grew up in CO and built a budget 96 XJ and took it on all the CO rock crawling it could handle. Fast forward 13 years, the Army, 4 deployments and getting out of the military in NC back in 2016 I wanted to start another project that I could share with my boys (and I have an actually fun budget) for the J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket) haha.

I bought this beaut from a guy in Greensboro 2 years ago. His son drove it until the engine blew, he had the engine rebuilt in Greensboro (can't remember the shop name), but when I bought it the body had 220K, but the engine had a fresh 35K on it.

It's a 1999 XJ Limited, fully loaded (for it's time): 4.0L, AW4, NP242, HP D30, 29 Spline 8.25.

Front.jpg
Rear.jpg

This is probably my fave color for the XJ outside of a clean white and built XJ.

Anyway, first mod was the Big 7 cable upgrade to handle the bigger alternator and winch:
Cables1.jpg

I know...I know people hate on Rough Country all the time but I went with their 4.5" Long Arm Kit. After venturing to the point of no return I chopped off the front control arm brackets and started to install everything. I didn't run into any issues and everything lined up like it should, my only critique of the entire kit are the super crappy design of the sway war disconnects.
LCA_Cut_Off.jpg
Brake_Line.jpg

Also, I will say living in NC has it's positives with no rust and only one rear lower shock mount bolt breaking. Pleasant surprise to say the least. Once the lift was on she needed some shoes!
front_liftt.jpg
rear_lift.jpg
tires.jpg
done.jpg

Attachments

• drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 141
  • drilled.jpg
    drilled.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 135
  • front_bumper1.jpg
    front_bumper1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 145
  • front_bumper2.jpg
    front_bumper2.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 140
Welcome to NC4X4 and thanks for your service!

I decided to install some 1-ton crossover steering from Trail Forged. Easy install...the only complaint I should have known was from the heim joints. She seems to wander a bit and my assumption is that is from the minimal play in the heims on the road. I could be 100% wrong, but no matter how tight I put the jam nuts, there's still a little slop in the steering.
drill.jpg

drilled.jpg

steering2.jpg

steering.jpg

After all was said and done I ordered the front and rear bumpers from JCR. Everything fit like a glove!
Bumper2.jpg

Bumper1.jpg

Bumper4.jpg

front_bumper2.jpg

front_bumper1.jpg

frontbumper3.jpg

front_bumper3.jpg

I didn't get any pictures of it, but I also added the Durango 160 amp alternator, I ran out the winch in order to do the initial spooling and going up a slight incline my battery gauge was dropping like crazy.

I added some obligatory lights and a controller switch from rough country.
Switch.jpg

lights.jpg

Lightbar.jpg

And to bring things to where I am now. I pulled the D30/8.25 and took them to get re-geared. I ordered 4.56s front and rear, new carrier for the D30, spartan lockers for both. If anyone lives in Harnett county, Angier has a great place, Maxed Out Garage, turned around my gear install in 1 day! Guys were awesome and super curious as to what I was installing these in. The owner even said to come back if anything ever feels as it shouldn't and they'll take care of it.

I didn't have them install the 8.25 spartan since c-clips and I am converting the rear to discs. So I knocked that out last night as the kids were crashing from their Christmas high.
Front_Pulled.jpg

Rear_Pulled.jpg

empty.jpg

Spartan.jpg

disc_bracket.jpg

Rear_Rotor.jpg

And that's where she stands! Today I am going to try to button up the rear brakes and if my wife and kids let me, start to get the front axle back in the jeep. I try to keep the jeep driven at least once a week as it stands, I live in Fuquay-Varina and drive down to Bragg for work, so once a week is plenty. I am hoping the 4.56s make the drive a little less hectic on the tranny hunting for the right gear and not that it matters...but help with the MPG as well haha.

THOR1.jpg
THOR2.jpg
THOR4.jpg

Added the THOR intake tube and filter. Super easy install and frees up so much damn space under the hood! I haven't driven much with it yet, but it's pretty loud on startup but calms down after it gets warm. When I make the Jeeps weekly drive down to Bragg I will see how the noise is.

Looks good. let me know what you think of the THOR intake I have been considering it for a bit now just haven't pulled the trigger.

Nice build! I'm doing similar mods to my 99 XJ, albeit at a slower pace. I'm curious about your disc brake swap on the 8.25 - did you buy a kit from somewhere, components, or grab used stuff from a junkyard? I definitely want to upgrade my 8.25 to discs also.

Nice build! I'm doing similar mods to my 99 XJ, albeit at a slower pace. I'm curious about your disc brake swap on the 8.25 - did you buy a kit from somewhere, components, or grab used stuff from a junkyard? I definitely want to upgrade my 8.25 to discs also.
I had a 96 XJ years ago before I had a good job. I did the liberty swap and it was just as good, just took time to piece it all together. This kit was the crown conversion from Quadratec...in all honesty I did it out of convenience. I still need to adjust the e-brake, it doesn't grab at all.

Looks good. let me know what you think of the THOR intake I have been considering it for a bit now just haven't pulled the trigger.
It's awesome, I have the BlueDriver USB OBDII scanner and temps are at least 25 degrees lower pulling from the cowl. Initial startup it's pretty damn loud, but once you get to temp it's audible but 100% bearable.

Any updates? Driving opinion with the 4.56 gears? I may have missed it but what size tires are you running - 33s?
It's a lot better. I did 4.56s since that's as low as the 8.25 can go, and I do have 33s, I also have spartans front and rear. Overall it keeps me in in the powerband better and my RPM range is much better. I live basically in Fuquay and commute to Bragg (not in the Jeep), but there were spots on HWY210 where it would be a dog and then drop down a gear or two up to 3500-4000 rpms...only going 55-60mph. Now it shifts more predictably, etc.

Its purely from the lockers, but I do hear a slight axle hum when coasting down the road. Once I am back on the gas it goes away. I think once these tires are in need of replacing (a LONG time from now) I will go to 35s..

I like it a lot. This morning it was ~40F and rainy, here's what it sounds like at first startup. About 5 mins into the drive you can't hear it anymore unless you gun it.

I have a BlueDriver OBD2 reader and on the road:
While going 55-60mph Intake temp was 75F-80F, sitting in a parking lot at idle for 20 mins it peaked at 109F. I am probably going to wrap the tube to see if it drops it even lower.
OBD2.jpg

Back