1st gen Toyota brake booster

rokntoy

FUCKIN SLAYER!!!
My booster has finally gone out and I want to upgrade! I know about the 1” master cylinder and I’ve know there are booster upgrades. Has anyone done a booster upgrade for better brakes on a 1st gen (79-83) truck?

My booster has finally gone out and I want to upgrade! I know about the 1” master cylinder and I’ve know there are booster upgrades. Has anyone done a booster upgrade for better brakes on a 1st gen (79-83) truck?
I have the larger booster and master from an FJ80. It helped a little. Getting the brakes properly proportioned afterwards can be a little tricky; I ditched the stock LSPV and put in a Wormwood manual dial style and tuned it with some trial and error. I figured that also set me up to be easier to tune later after I inevitably changed to rear discs also.

For my 85 4runner, I have an FJ80 Master, 1st gen Tacoma Brake Booster (it's dual diaphragm, and fairly compact), wilwood adjustable proportioning valve, v6 rotors/calipers, and rear discs. It's about the best I could get running 15" wheels. It would probably benefit from a residual valve as it takes a light pump to get a hard pedal, but is still more than enough to stop 35's fairly well on the street.

FJ80 master running fj60 front and fj80 rear. LSPV arm is tied to the bottom of the bed. Running 40s and while I wouldn’t want to try and lock it up at 60 mph (for a variety of reasons) it does well stopping. All new calipers too.

For my 85 4runner, I have an FJ80 Master, 1st gen Tacoma Brake Booster (it's dual diaphragm, and fairly compact), wilwood adjustable proportioning valve, v6 rotors/calipers, and rear discs. It's about the best I could get running 15" wheels. It would probably benefit from a residual valve as it takes a light pump to get a hard pedal, but is still more than enough to stop 35's fairly well on the street.
what did you do for rear discs?

what did you do for rear discs?
I have the trail gear kit. The biggest annoyance is the rotor bores are machined out so it's not an off the shelf part to replace. They stop good, but there are better alternatives out now that let you keep all toyota parts.

Back