2000 F250 intermittent noise

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
My F250 is starting to make an intermittent noise and I cannot figure out what it is, so I'm looking for any ideas/suggestions to check before I start moving. The noise sounds like a cross between a bearing being worn out and a chatter; it will last anywhere between a few seconds to a couple minutes and over 150miles/2.5hrs it could not happen or happen 4-5 times. It doesn't seem to happen under 40MPH and it doesn't sound like its RPM dependent (revving it or putting in neutral doesn't seem to change anything). My mind could be messing with me, but I seem to feel it in the firewall and the steering wheel & it sounds like its coming from the driver's front wheel, but I cannot find anything wrong on that corner. So far I've checked & double-checked all the fluids, u-joints, wheel bearings, brakes, pads & calipers. Nothing feels loose, no evidence of rubbing and/or heat and the brakes don't have any odd wear patterns. The only noise I can hear is the backlash in the gears and from my limited experience they seem within spec. I'm going to crawl over it again tomorrow double checking that everything is greased, but I'm hoping to make my first trip over the long weekend so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brandon

Front drive shaft?
Possibly, but its not in 4WD on the highway and the hubs aren't locked. U-joints on it feel good and aren't making noise either.

I have seen the passenger auto hub go bad and enguage itself. Might jack up the front and verify it's not locked

I have seen the passenger auto hub go bad and enguage itself. Might jack up the front and verify it's not locked
Confirmed both driver & passenger were unlocked after each trip. No play on any corner's bearing either...in/out, side/side & up/down.

Take some fishing line and run it between the axle ujoint and the outer " C". Keep the truck in 2WD and drive it. If the line gets ripped apart, you know the shaft is engaging somehow. Could be the hub or it could be the spindle bearing is failed and digging into the stub.
That's where you start.

Take some fishing line and run it between the axle ujoint and the outer " C". Keep the truck in 2WD and drive it. If the line gets ripped apart, you know the shaft is engaging somehow. Could be the hub or it could be the spindle bearing is failed and digging into the stub.
That's where you start.
Thanks, I'll do that tonight!

I've moved all my hunting & fishing stuff already so I used the yarn(?) from a crown royal bag. Tied a loop on each side around the 'C' and the axle u-joint and drove to the local taco place...both ripped off in ~7 miles and I didn't hear the noise. Wondering if I need to use something stronger or does this indicate I've got a problem on each side?

I've moved all my hunting & fishing stuff already so I used the yarn(?) from a crown royal bag. Tied a loop on each side around the 'C' and the axle u-joint and drove to the local taco place...both ripped off in ~7 miles and I didn't hear the noise. Wondering if I need to use something stronger or does this indicate I've got a problem on each side.
Both sides are fubarred.
Cheapest fix would be if the spindle bearings are toast and the stub is stuck to the inside of the hub.
Otherwise, you're looking at a fresh set of licking hubs most likely.

Both sides are fubarred.
Cheapest fix would be if the spindle bearings are toast and the stub is stuck to the inside of the hub.
Otherwise, you're looking at a fresh set of licking hubs most likely.
Well dang...not what I wanted to hear, but hopefully this will put me on the path to fix it! To test spindle bearing vs locking hub would it be smart to pull the hub tomorrow for a quick 5-10 mile drive to see if the yarn breaks again? The local O'reilly has both locking hubs & hub assemblies in stock and they're about the same price for the pairs. I honestly think I'd prefer if it was the hubs since I can replace them in a parking lot without pulling the wheels.

No need to replace the hub assy if its just the spindle bearing that is failed. It's like a $10 per side part.
Screenshot_20240703-061348.png

Last edited:
No need to replace the hub assy if its just the spindle bearing that is failed. It's like a $10 per side part.
Gotcha! I was under the impression you couldn't replace that bearing and had to replace the assembly.

on the actual hub bearing, yes. But the spindle bearing (what the stub rides on) is serviceable. Easy peasy install.
Tried the yarn/string test again after pulling the locking hubs & made the 6 mile trip to the dump & back...no broken strings this time, so the locking hubs may be to blame. I'm planning on leaving them pulled this weekend while new ones are on order to see if I hear the noise again on the highway.

EDIT: drove another 20 miles to TSC & back. No noise & yarn is still intact, hoping that's still the case after tomorrow's drive!

Last edited:
Back