2000 WJ auto transmission reflash, 45RFE to 545RFE

13bullets

Chris
Anyone here ever had it done? Is there any reason NOT to do it?

Here are the gear ratio's before and after:

45RFE:
1st - 3.00:1
2nd - 1.67:1 (upshift)
2nd - 1.50:1 (downshift)
3rd - 1.00:1
4th - 0.75:1

5-45RFE:
1st - 3.00:1
2nd - 1.67:1 (upshift)
2nd - 1.50:1 (downshift)
3rd - 1.00:1
4th - 0.75:1
5th - 0.67:1

And a link to the TSB pdf: http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1802501.pdf

i have seen it create harsh shifts and create a lug condition at low throttle. it will also tell on misfires quicker than normal.

it won't hurt the trans and you may gain a slight fuel mileage advantage.the extra ratio is basically negated by the additional throttle angle used to maintain the same speeds.

So, in your opinion, is it worth the one hour dealership charge to have it flashed or don't bother? I got roughly 12.6 mpg on my last tank, it wouldn't further REDUCE my mpg would it?

My dealer said they'd do it for $50. I'm going to have it done tomorrow morning and see how it turns out. Thanks, I'll post up how it goes.

How do you go from a 4 speed tranny to a 5 speed tranny simply by software? Did it originally not lock up the torque converter, and with the changes, it will lock up the torque converter???

i could write a 10 page explanation about this, i will copy some info and maybe it will help explain it.
DESCRIPTION
The 45RFE/545RFE automatic transmissions is a sophisticated, multi-range, electronically controlled transmission which combines optimized gear ratios for responsive performance, state of the art efficiency features and low NVH. Other features include driver adaptive shifting and three planetary gear sets to provide wide ratio capability with precise ratio steps for optimum driveability. The three planetary gear sets also make available a unique alternate second gear ratio. The primary 2nd gear ratio fits between 1st and 3rd gears for normal through-gear accelerations. The alternate second gear ratio (2prime) allows smoother 4-2 kickdowns at high speeds to provide 2nd gear passing performance over a wider highway cruising range.
The hydraulic portion of the transmission consists of the transmission fluid, fluid passages, hydraulic valves, and various line pressure control components.
The primary mechanical components of the transmission consist of the following:
Three multiple disc input clutches
Three multiple disc holding clutches
Five hydraulic accumulators
Three planetary gear sets
Dual Stage Hydraulic oil pump
Valve body
Solenoid pack
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is the “heart” or “brain” of the electronic control system and relies on information from various direct and indirect inputs (sensors, switches, etc.) to determine driver demand and vehicle operating conditions. Depending on the vehicle configuration, the TCM may be a standalone module or it may be housed along with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in a single module. With this information, the TCM can calculate and perform timely and quality shifts through various output or control devices (solenoid pack, transmission control relay, etc.).
OPERATION
The 545RFE offers full electronic control of all automatic up and downshifts, and features real-time adaptive closed-loop shift and pressure control. Electronic shift and torque converter clutch controls help protect the transmission from damage due to high temperatures, which can occur under severe operating conditions. By altering shift schedules, line pressure, and converter clutch control, these controls reduce heat generation and increase transmission cooling.
To help reduce efficiency-robbing parasitic losses, the transmissions includes a dual-stage transmission fluid pump with electronic output pressure control. Under most driving conditions, pump output capacity greatly exceeds that which is needed to keep the clutches applied. The 545RFE pump-pressure control system monitors input torque and adjusts the pump pressure accordingly. The primary stage of the pump works continuously; the second stage is bypassed when demand is low. The control system also monitors input and output speed and, if incipient clutch slip is observed, the pressure control solenoid duty cycle is varied, increasing pressure in proportion to demand.
A high-travel torque converter damper assembly allows earlier torque converter clutch engagement to reduce slippage. Needle-type thrust bearings reduce internal friction. The 545RFE is packaged in a one-piece die-cast aluminum case. To reduce NVH, the case has high lateral, vertical and torsional stiffness. It is also designed to maximize the benefit of the structural dust cover that connects the bottom of the bell housing to the engine bedplate, enhancing overall power train stiffness. Dual filters protect the pump and other components. A cooler return filter is added to the customary main sump filter. Independent lubrication and cooler circuits assure ample pressure for normal transmission operation even if the cooler is obstructed or the fluid cannot flow due to extremely low temperatures.
NOTE: Vehicles such as the WK equipped with ERS (Electronic Range Select) do not provide 2nd gear in limp-in, because the shift lever has no '2' or '1' position.
The hydraulic control system design (without electronic assist) provides the transmission with PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, SECOND, and THIRD gears, based solely on driver shift lever selection. This design allows the vehicle to be driven (in “limp-in” mode) in the event of a electronic control system failure, or a situation that the Transmission Control Module (TCM) recognizes as potentially damaging to the transmission.
The TCM also performs certain self-diagnostic functions and provides comprehensive information (sensor data, DTC's, etc.) which is helpful in proper diagnosis and repair. This information can be viewed with the scan tool.

How do you go from a 4 speed tranny to a 5 speed tranny simply by software? Did it originally not lock up the torque converter, and with the changes, it will lock up the torque converter???

Mechanically the two transmissions are the same, and all shifting is electronically controlled. Both are capable of 5 forward speeds, but from 99-01 the TCM was programmed to use only 4 of them, then lock the TC. These transmissions are the 45RFE's. In 02 the TCM's were programmed to use all 5 forward speeds and then lock the TC, the 5-45RFE's.

Since they are both identical, the 45RFE's only have to be reprogrammed to allow use of the 5th forward speed.

At least that's my understanding of it.

To add to this a little (Lee is 100% dead nuts correct as always).
The flash was primarily (or also) released to combat gear noise in early WJ's. They had inherant gear whine that was minimized (supossedly) my adding the additional "gear".
I still rebuilt many, many early WJ diffs for whine issue.
My 2 cents: aside from being more likely to trip a misfire due to lugging. There is no reason not to have it done.

So what happens if lugging causes a misfire? Does it just throw a code or what? CEL? Nothing?

I hated the 545 program on my Hemi Dodge, wish it didn't even have that additional (taller) 2nd gear. It was just enough of a difference to notice a bit of sluggishness with the drive train when it kicked down when trying to accelerate. It was especially obvious when pulling a trailer. I could use tow/haul for pulling but if I was in seriously hilly terrain I had to turn T/H off to allow it to kick down to the lower 2nd gear where it would get a little more oomph to keep her pulling.

Looks like the flash you'd be doing wouldn't change that silly 2nd gear thing.

Well after talking to the tech at the dealership I didn't have it done. I'm might try to find a junkyard TCM and PCM and have them flashed because he said once I flashed mine there was no going back if it caused any problems or if I didn't like the way it performed.

About the misfire, according to him it would have to see it 3 times before it turned on the CEL. If it saw it only once or twice eventually it would clear the count after some driving without a misfire and it would again have to see 3 misfires to turn the light on.

do you realize how many times a plug fires per minute.
it won't make your truck misfire, it will only be able to detect them quicker because of the additional load put on the motor.

does your jeep have security? if it does you will need to have the junk yard computer reprogrammed before your jeep will run.

Back