2002 Excursion - potential VSM issue

getstucksome

I just bought a new to me 2002 Excursion 7.3 and I believe that I'm having VSM issues. What I am experiencing is power door locks do not work, door ajar light is always on, theft light flashes, no interior/dome lights come on when doors are opened. It has an aftermarket alarm system on it that I'm going to remove, so I don't have a way to test remote door lock functionality at this time.

Has anyone run into this type of thing? It seems like most of the problems I have been reading about have been 2002 year models.

Also, does anyone have any advice on where to buy/have a buddy at a Ford dealership close to Mooresville/Charlotte? I found one for 180 plus shipping new, which seems to be the best deal so far, but will still require a reprogram at a Ford dealer.

I've tried the door jam sensors already, no dice. My thought is VSM given the other things that aren't working. Radio also doesn't cut off when doors are opened, just another symptom of the VSM. I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and order it. I'll post back with results.

Following up on this problem. I ordered a new VSM from Green Sales Co in Ohio,they specialize in NOS Ford parts. I ordered the updated VSM part number 4C7Z15604AC, but received the original/old VSM part number 2C7T-15K602-AJ. Not exactly what I was expecting, but I pulled the lower dash and unplugged the old VSM. I plugged in the new replacement just to see if it fixed anything, and door locks now magically worked, interior lights turned on when doors were opened, and all of the rest of the signs of a failed VSM disappeared with no reprogramming - not too bad. I also got the alarm system that was not functioning to work, so now I can unlock/lock/arm the X, which makes me feel a lot better about driving it around and leaving it out in parking lots for extended amounts of time.

So the plan is to run the NOS VSM since no programming required should save me ~$100 bucks at the dealer and if I get 5-6 years out of it that will work for me. I think the original failed a couple of years ago, so maybe 14 year or so out of it before failure.

Back