2004 jeep tj 42rle and 35s gear ratio

Dsallows

I plan on throwing 35s on my tj and yes I already have everything ready so please don't pester me with those details. The one thing I am not sure of is what gear ratio to go with the crappy 42rle transmission I have seen on other forums that 5.13 is ideal with 35s but I have heard that 4.88 is great too it's my daily driver so it's got to be as close to stock as possible

Probably has a D30 front so 5.13's are out. I ran 4.56 in my 98 5 speed TJ on 35's with no issues on or off road. Running 5.13's on my 06 rubicon with a 6 speed and 37's and to me is perfect. I'd say if mostly highway and URE every now and then 4.56. Mostly off road and little highway use go with 4.88.

@Jody Treadway knows best in this area. Never even been in an automatic Jeep so no idea of the shitty OD. Can't bring myself to get an automatic Jeep and I wouldn't have an automatic sports car either. I know that they are better for crawling but I do just fine in my opinion offroad for what I want to achieve.

Probably has a D30 front so 5.13's are out. I ran 4.56 in my 98 5 speed TJ on 35's with no issues on or off road. Running 5.13's on my 06 rubicon with a 6 speed and 37's and to me is perfect. I'd say if mostly highway and URE every now and then 4.56. Mostly off road and little highway use go with 4.88.
One company makes 5.13s for a dana 30 now

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Low pinion Dana 30 5.13 gears... I've heard of them but never installed them. Based on 4.56 vs 4.88, those teeth gotta be pretty small!
I'd steer a client away from them personally.
Dustin has a set of high pinion in his bronco that's high pinion. But I agree I tried to get him to get 4.88s but they have held up so far

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

42RLE, 4.88s and 35s is right at 2,500 rpm at 75.

Just remember, if you wheel your rig (especially if locked) a warranty doesn't do you any good to get off the trail with broken r&p.

Back