2009 Tacoma SAS

Van-go

Not an old man
Picked up another project. Just want to get some opinions from all the experts on here.

It’s an 09 tacoma see pics.
It has an ECGS built 60 rear. It’s gutted under the front. No diff or shafts.

I have a ‘90 kingpin axle I want to swap up front.

Should I run leafs, coils, or what?

I’m trying to do this with stuff I have laying around. (Which I have a ton of junk)

BA5FBC50-0069-41FF-8323-338D3C3EC865.jpeg
5EA3FDBC-E284-4981-8AD3-E21C9443AC76.jpeg
27BA7D88-FEF4-4761-9142-DEC69B24DBCB.jpeg
DF5C4EE1-F03F-40A0-8CDE-BA7FAB9737C8.jpeg
19C97531-E217-486A-9B74-A34A5D693097.jpeg
E3A4DA0E-F526-4EDA-9D0A-5EA41C24B0E5.jpeg

979.gif

The PO converted to the XJ life for good I see :D

Edit: leafs. You’ll get the better wow factor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’d throw some leaf springs under that thing just to get you on the trail while you accumulate things for a better setup, or just enjoy it while you do the other build.

There is a LOT of leaf sprung Toyota’s out there that have hurt some feelings of some Jeeps and 4 linked buggys!!

I’d throw some leaf springs under that thing just to get you on the trail while you accumulate things for a better setup, or just enjoy it while you do the other build.

There is a LOT of leaf sprung Toyota’s out there that have hurt some feelings of some Jeeps and 4 linked buggys!!
That’s the plan right now. I have a couple sets of YJ leafs.
I’ll need to figure out steering either way.

My only concern for leafs is the perches are wider on the newer ford Kingpin axles than the 79 kingpins which will hurt my flex life.

But they don't have 36" spring perchaes like that 60 does.

I would only leaf it if you are going to narrow it. Otherwise, 3 link or radius arms with an IFS gearbox for simplicity

That’s the plan right now. I have a couple sets of YJ leafs.
I’ll need to figure out steering either way.

My only concern for leafs is the perches are wider on the newer ford Kingpin axles than the 79 kingpins which will hurt my flex life.

Narrow the long side 4", move perch to 32" width and rock out

BTW- happy belated birthday Holmes

Coils from a jk/tj and radius arms. The frame shape on taco's are not very favorable for leaf mounts.

Cool project. I would run leafs because cheap and quick.

Did that come from the Durham area?
Yes

Narrow the long side 4", move perch to 32" width and rock out

BTW- happy belated birthday Holmes
The rear is already full width.

If I could find another 78 60 I would. I want to use the one I have in the buggy I’m trying to build

If leafs are that complicated I agree I would 3 link it with a Ruff Stuff Kit and be done.

If leafs are that complicated I agree I would 3 link it with a Ruff Stuff Kit and be done.
I took some measurements.
If I mount the shackle through the frame in the rear and run a YJ leaf pack I’ll have to outboard the front hanger a couple inches. It will stretch the front about 2-3 inches.
Seems really simple actually.
Only issue is the newer 60 perch width will hurt my flex.

Last edited:
I took some measurements.
If I mount the shackle through the frame in the rear and run a YJ leaf pack I’ll have to outboard the front hanger a couple inches. It will stretch the front about 2-3 inches.
Send really simple actually.
Only issue is the newer 60 perch width will hurt my flex.

You don’t need super flex, just back up and bump it. If that don’t work, back up and send it.

You don’t need super flex, just back up and bump it. If that don’t work, back up and send it.

I guess I’ll get started on it once @hurt4x4 ’s taco is out of my shop.

It’s on it own weight now so hopefully not too far from being done.

0C700CB1-3009-497D-9F8F-5C2CBC587943.jpeg

Link it with coilovers and full hydro steeing and be done the first time.
I would, but this is just something to get me on the trail with some buddies for this fall while I wait for Goat Built to finish his Jeep buggy chassis kit so I can build one of those.

Back