22RE troubles

yoder519

alright fellas. i got a 85 toyota 22RE. i bought it back in jan and its still not runnin. the truck sat for about 6months before i bought it. it has about 500 miles on a head rebuild by the PO. anyways the symptoms- its about impossible to start without startin fluid. if it sets for a month, itll start right up, but then i can take it up the road, cut it off, turn the key, no start. i replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, dist cap, rotor button, and fuel filter(never again). i ran a can of sea foam thru the tank, nothin. ran it thru the vaccum line the other day, ran great afterwards. felt like a brand new truck, but still wouldnt start on its own after wards.. started it up today, back to rough idle and spitn and sputterin like before. when im drivin it, after i hit about 3k RPMs when im on it hard, it acts like its runnin out of gas. but if i go easy, normal drivin, its fine. i took it to a shop to be fixed a few months back, and he said he couldnt figure out the problem. he checked the timin, dead on. checked the fuel pressure, perfect.

so any of you guys kno what could be the problem? its really startin to tick me off, bc i have all these parts layin around to put on it, but its not runnin, so the parts wont do any good. someone told me the fuel pump could be bad, but would it still have good pressure if so? any help is greatly appreciated

i had the same problem with my honda buggy,it ran good ,then i took the motor out of the car.It sat 6 months until i got it in the buggy and it ran,then didnt etc...took the injectors out cleaned them and bammm,it runs great,i ran turbo blue 115 octane fuel in it at the farm event,ran flawless.
hope this helps

also did a fuel pressure test before the injscteor got cleaned and it showed perfect,its because the injectors are after the fuel rail,it doesnt show pressure after the injectors.If that makes sense,almost confused myself..LOL

Are the valves adjusted correctly? I had a problem where mine would not idle right but at higher rpms it was fine. Adjusted the valves correctly and its perfect. I know it is a different problem but it cant hurt to check it out.

What about the strainer on the fuel pump in the tank. If the tank is nasty, the strainer will clog up. That causes some weird problems.

quickracer... Wuld the seafoam that I ran through it clean the injectors? Or do I need to take them out?
yota.. The mechanicc said the valves could use some adjusting, but he said he was perdy sure they wasn't out bad enough to cause the probelms
brian... I thought about the stariner, I'm gonna check it afteri pull the bed which im in the middle of right now. I still aint put your flatbed on lol

auto or manual (comp issue)? Could be a vac issue or coldstart injector clog

I wouldnt think it was the pump if the pressure checked out ok.I'd check the Tps as Dan said.Def adjust valves correctly.How does it idle?

well some times it idles great, at about 1200RPM i think. then sometimes ill start it and it idles like crap. it can be idlin perfect at one redlight, go to the next, crappy idle. its a 5 spd i forgot to mention. ill try and check all these things today while im off. ill need to do a little searchin to locate everything.

hyperlite- i thought about the cold start injector, but it seems it starts better if the engine is cold?
papaJon- what do you mean by sock? im considerin goin ahead and replacin the pump, im pretty sure its factory. the guy i got it from is the original owner and never mentioned replacin it.
taco- ill try to locate this and check it.

ive thought that maybe i have some bad fuel lines, maybe dryrotted. i havnt seen no leaks. but is there a possibility that one has a leak just small enough to let air in the lines, and not leak it? somethin i forgot to mention. the gas gauge worked when i got it. the other day, it was showin right below a quarter tank. i paid for $12 in gas, started pumpin it and it just let me put 3 gallons in it. it acted like it was full. then i go to look at my gauge, its settin right below a half tank?

how will i kno if the TPS is out of wack or needs replacing? also, wonder how much itd run at a shop to adjust the valves?

Doubtful it's the TPS, b/c then it would be consistently bad. If you want to check that though, Google "4Crawler TPS". If you haven't found it yet, 4Crawler's website has info on just about every part of your truck.

This soudns ot me like a fuel delivery problem. I second either the pump, injector, or crap in the pickup in the tank.

Oh wait - your last post about the gas - I think you have a gas venting problem.
There should be a vent that allows air to flow in, as gas is removed (and likewise, pushed out as the gas is pumped in). If that thing is plugged/nasty, that would cause inconsistent gas flow out! Physics is working against you, my friend...

Doubtful it's the TPS, b/c then it would be consistently bad. If you want to check that though, Google "4Crawler TPS". If you haven't found it yet, 4Crawler's website has info on just about every part of your truck.
This soudns ot me like a fuel delivery problem. I second either the pump, injector, or crap in the pickup in the tank.
Oh wait - your last post about the gas - I think you have a gas venting problem.
There should be a vent that allows air to flow in, as gas is removed (and likewise, pushed out as the gas is pumped in). If that thing is plugged/nasty, that would cause inconsistent gas flow out! Physics is working against you, my friend...
yea ive ordered a few things from 4crawler and fixed a few problems usin his website befroe, tons of info. this vent your talkin about, is it the same one sgtbriangreen is talkin about? or do you mean a differnet one?

yep i just found this link before i got back on here to check my thread. thanks a ton!

yea ive ordered a few things from 4crawler and fixed a few problems usin his website befroe, tons of info. this vent your talkin about, is it the same one sgtbriangreen is talkin about? or do you mean a differnet one?

I think he meant the actual strainer, the pickup liek has a screen on it to keep crap from getting into teh fuel lines if it's in te htank. If there is enough crap, that thing can get clogged.
But, that wouldn't explain your gas pump cutoff problem. The vent would.
Basically there are (at least) 3 lines i na gas tank. A big hose going IN for adding gas. A small line going out for supplying fuel. And an air line to maintain pressure.
Unfortunately I don't know where that one is on these trucks, never had to mess w/ it myself...

My truck has 4 lines. One to add fuel, one from the pump to supply fuel, one for the pressure regulator discharge, and one to the charcoal canister. The fuel cap has a built in vent. The problem I was having with the strainer on the pump was it would run fine when cold, but as soon as the temp would rise, it would start cutting out. My strainer was clogged bad. New strainer and my problem was gone. I completely removed my charcoal canister and blocked the vac line and put a lawnmower fuel filter and check valve on the line going to the tank for ventilation.

I think he meant the actual strainer, the pickup liek has a screen on it to keep crap from getting into teh fuel lines if it's in te htank. If there is enough crap, that thing can get clogged.
But, that wouldn't explain your gas pump cutoff problem. The vent would.
Basically there are (at least) 3 lines i na gas tank. A big hose going IN for adding gas. A small line going out for supplying fuel. And an air line to maintain pressure.
Unfortunately I don't know where that one is on these trucks, never had to mess w/ it myself...
im really hopin the strainer is gonna be the prblem with teh cuttin out. i tried to drive the truck, and barely got it back home. now its cuttin out no matter what rpm, after it gets to normal runnin temp.

1. Did you check the coolant temp sensor?
2. What do your spark plugs look like?
no i still didnt check it. ill have to figure ou tits location. i may check it in the mornin if i have time before work. the spark plugs are new, i just replaced them. the ones in it before was Bosch platinum (junk IMO) and everyone was fowled but the first cylinder.

Well that's good that they're new, it'll give us a good idea for how the engines running now. Spark plugs are your window into the combustion chamber. Pull out the plugs, and take a look. It'll tell us if the mixture is rich, lean, or correct. if the mix is right, then we know it's a problem with ignition. That's a starting point. There are too many wild guesses running around this thread, and no diagnosis happening. If you want to fix it, it's time to diagnose.

take a air hose and blow back though the fuel line. See if it runs better after

this is a great idea.
Too bad that filter is such a PITA to get to.

sounds like the fins in the fuel pump are getting hot and seazing up and causing the fuel pressure to drop. Ive ran into this in my auto shop before with a toyota truck. It had plenty of pressure at idle but left the pressure tester on and drove down the road watching pressure and it droped like a rock! Ran out of pressure and it fell on its face bad. sounds like afuel pump issue you have there to me so hook that pressure tester up and drive it and see what the pressure does! good luck!

take a air hose and blow back though the fuel line. See if it runs better after
so just unhook the back fuel line off the fuel filter and hodl the air hose to it?

sounds like the fins in the fuel pump are getting hot and seazing up and causing the fuel pressure to drop. Ive ran into this in my auto shop before with a toyota truck. It had plenty of pressure at idle but left the pressure tester on and drove down the road watching pressure and it droped like a rock! Ran out of pressure and it fell on its face bad. sounds like afuel pump issue you have there to me so hook that pressure tester up and drive it and see what the pressure does! good luck!
yes thats exactly wehat its doin. idles great most o fthe time, then you drive it and it runs horrible.

checked the spark plugs, there still lookin good. decided id advance teh timin on the dist a little, then like a complete idiot, pulled the distributor out. so this means its now out of time correct? i dotn have much time to look at it, i either work 9-6 or 1-10. so not much much extra time unless im off. im havin a hard time locating this coolant temp sensor. i can tseem to find it on google or anything? do you know about where its located taco?

this is a great idea.
Too bad that filter is such a PITA to get to.

if you can get it off relocate it... the lines will allow you to move it to the fender...

if you can remember where and how you pulled the distributor out you can turn it back maybe 1 tooth or 2... you'll have to start timing it again though to make sure.

so just unhook the back fuel line off the fuel filter and hodl the air hose to it?
yes thats exactly wehat its doin. idles great most o fthe time, then you drive it and it runs horrible.
checked the spark plugs, there still lookin good. decided id advance teh timin on the dist a little, then like a complete idiot, pulled the distributor out. so this means its now out of time correct? i dotn have much time to look at it, i either work 9-6 or 1-10. so not much much extra time unless im off. im havin a hard time locating this coolant temp sensor. i can tseem to find it on google or anything? do you know about where its located taco?
The coolant temp sensor is in the intake manifold water jacket, but if the plugs aren't fouling out rich (dark brown or black and possibly wet with fuel when you take them out) then it probably isn't that.

Back