26:38:48.41

kaiser715

Doing hard time
That's one thing that coronavirus has done for the world.

New NYC to LA cannonball record since the roads are deserted. 26:38:48.41

Asterisks

Audi A8L is what it was done in this time.

Still an impressive feat, but I can’t help but see the asterisk as well. Most states aren’t having normal patrol or pursuit for speed limit stuff right now. Hell some aren’t even doing traffic stops unless it’s related to some bigger thing like an Amber alert. Even a buddy that is an OTR trucker was telling me they’re getting away with a LOT right now that normally wouldn’t fly.

yeah I mean it's almost cheating

But...what’s the adage, if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying. But I also recognize Barry Bonds as the homerun king. Frankly though, they didn’t do anything differently than anyone else that’s done the run...and the opportunity was there to be had by anyone. Like the article said, it’s like a meth dealer looking down on a crack dealer. They’re either both wrong or both seizing opportunity. And then where is the line drawn for ‘records’, are crews that don’t use the exact same technology or spotting techniques as the first run, asterisked as well? Or are we taking the stance of honor among thieves here?

So what are these asterisks everybody's talking about?

But...what’s the adage, if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying. But I also recognize Barry Bonds as the homerun king. Frankly though, they didn’t do anything differently than anyone else that’s done the run...and the opportunity was there to be had by anyone. Like the article said, it’s like a meth dealer looking down on a crack dealer. They’re either both wrong or both seizing opportunity. And then where is the line drawn for ‘records’, are crews that don’t use the exact same technology or spotting techniques as the first run, asterisked as well? Or are we taking the stance of honor among thieves here?

I agree with you regarding Bonds and HR king...
My "issue" isnt with the lack of patrol its with the lack of traffic. It would be like Bonds claiming the HR title and counting all the ones he hit in BP warming up. It wasnt really against competition.

Im mostly just arguing to occupy time and space...but 1% do take it with a slight asterick

Or are we taking the stance of honor among thieves here?

I think for the "Fraternity of Lunatics" Cannonball crowd they have always seen it and the record as the spirit of the original Cannonball which was a giant FU to speed limits and the enforcement of it. Not much going on in that spirit when there is minimal enforcement going on of traffic laws across the country.

Its still going to be THE record, but in the spirit of the Cannonball that started it all, its lacking.

I agree with you regarding Bonds and HR king...
My "issue" isnt with the lack of patrol its with the lack of traffic. It would be like Bonds claiming the HR title and counting all the ones he hit in BP warming up. It wasnt really against competition.

Im mostly just arguing to occupy time and space...but 1% do take it with a slight asterick

Understood, and first time I saw it, I kinda cringed myself. But then I got thinking how far do we take asterisk-ing records. Do we start accounting for indoors vs outdoors for passing/kicking records in the NFL...or right field homeruns in Boston...etc etc. Sometimes you just benefit because of ideal scenarios, whether you’re a left handed hitter in Boston, or you have a 30mph wind helping your kick get over the crossbar, or traffic is lighter when setting a time record. I absolutely see your point, but I also believe conditions are half the fun of records. I’m not taking away from Drew Brees’ legacy/record because half of his games were either in sunny San Diego or a home dome.

Beat again...

Vague announcement. My guess it’s a former record holder(s) and a regular on Vinwiki
Most likely, but you don't get views/subscribers without cliffhangers and the promise of future content!

Vague announcement. My guess it’s a former record holder(s) and a regular on Vinwiki
There's buzz about a sub 24 hour time...which is...unbelievable to me...but dayum if so

"Don't break the law while breaking the law!"

deja_q_hd_046_resized_6484.jpg

There's buzz about a sub 24 hour time...which is...unbelievable to me...but dayum if so
So we're already well into the region of being very illegal and pushing the boundaries of safety.
But I do wonder at what point this does become a real safety risk and flat our dangerous for more than just the drivers.

Driving would be a lot safer if none of the vehicles moved too. One car very alertly racing across the country has to be safer than the lady putting on her makeup and texting while driving down the crowded interstate every morning.

Back