2nd gen 4runner, no elec. power, will not start

BLUERUNNER

i posted this on a few forums, this is my dd i need help asap...
1990 4runner, 5spd, 3.0

yesterday my truck ran started and everything else fine. i ran to the store, came out and when i tried to start it, it just died when i hit the key, no power to anything. i jumped it and drove home fine with radio lights and etc, everything was fine. then tried to start it again when i got home, and it went dead, but before i restarted it i ran the radio and lights, they were fine.

today i took the battery to 2 parts stores, they both said the battery was fine. so i took it home and reinstalled it, the radio lights and etc were fine again, but when i tried to start it everything went dead. now no matter how many times i disconnect the battery and reconnect it, nothing works. i even tried 2 other batteries, they did nothing.

? anyone?

ps also i checked all the fuses, no problems.

Ground cables, check them at the block, body and battery.

Loose, dirty, corroded any and all are most likely the cause.

Might be as simple as the battery connection dirty.

I have seen this on alot of older trucks but its new to me on a toyota, the starter will be locked up and draw to much power trying to spin it and kill everything. Actually I had it happen the other day on a 85 chevy 1500 and it always happens on my buddys 78 bronco. So maybe try that route.

well it turned out the be the terminals, which is what i thought in the first place, so i replaced them...but
when i first replaced the terminals i still got nothing, so that is where i was stumped, after a lot of searching for any problems all over the elec system, it turns out the new terminals were not getting power to the truck. they had red paint all over them preventing an elec connection. i hit them with a grinder and everything is fine...and yes that really pissed me off to find out someone would make a terminal that prevents an elec connection, oh well.

Back