3rd broken shock mount in 6 months?

loki_racer

I have a 99 Jeep TJ. My first quest is how in the hell do I determine how much suspension lift it has. It has a Trailmaster sticker on the visor warning that the suspension has been modified, but I don't know how to determine how much lift it has.

Second question. I have broken the shock bar pin on 3 brand new shocks over the past 6 months. I have a feeling it's because I have the wrong length shocks, but I am a noob.

I measured the distance from the shock bump stop to the plate it bumps on to be 6"(6 1/2" if you include the bump stock compression) and the distance from the 2 mounting points for the shock is 20". Can someone link to a shock( maybe at tellico4x4.com or something similiar) that I need to by. Also, should I look at a bar pin eliminiter since it's the bar pin that has broken over and over and not the shock.

Thanks for the help in advance. I am a programmer by day, and an aspiring Jeeper by night.

Also, anyone in the Leland/Southport/Wilmington area hit me up. I haven't found a single wheeling spot around here.

Bar pin eliminators should help since breaking the rear bar pins is pretty common. If it was me I would actually measure the axle at full droop and at full stuff and use that for my measurements for the shocks.

loki_racer said:
"droop" and "stuff". Do I get these by flexing the suspension in the rear? Can I flex the suspension without a rear shock on?

Yes and Yes.

Trailmaster, if I remember correctly only offers a 4" kit for the TJs. I would measure between where the shock bolts up and the eye at the bottom with weight on the suspension. With that measurement I can come very close to letting you know how much lift it has and spec'ing a shock that will work. Bar pin eliminators will help as well.

Let me know if we can help
Andy

The shock mounting points are 20" from each other. Does this help?

Let me add 1 more question. It has a 3" body lift that I do not like, so I will be putting a 1" in next weekend. I have read reviews of how to put a 1" in from a stock position, how much work will be required to drop it from a 3" to a 1"? Can I expect any major changes, or should it basicly sit down 2" no problem?

Thanks a ton for the help.

the rear mounts shouldn't be an issue...and the side mounts shouldn't, either...

you may get into an issue in the front with radiator/fan shroud/fan alignment...

and some 3" BL call for re-routing the A/C lines...

and do you know if it has a motor mount lift?

may also get into problems with the t-case shifter, depending on what was done with the 3" BL...

Greg

Holy crap I need help.

The t-case has been dropped 1" I believe. Not sure about the motor mounts.

Anyone with experience wanta teach/help me? Would be willing to supply beer/pizza/etc for some help.

I am ordering the 1" BL tomorrow, and plan on installing it next week. I know someone's gotta be in the area that wants some free food.

The 3 inch to 1 inch is a pretty easy swap. I did one a few weeks ago and it took me like 2 hours. The instructions that come with the lift will walk you right through it. The difference being that you are lowering instead of raising. Just make sure you pull the transfer case linkage loose and the readiator fan shroud loose before you doing any adjustments to height. The instructions will show you how to do this. I belive they make you do it ahead of time. And make sure to spray everything down with penetrating oil so you don't snap a mounting bolt off. I did a year ago and I am still trying to fix that problem. As for the shocks. You could look into getting the shock shifters for the rear or outboarding them with ford shock mounts. Easiest is to probably adjust the bump stop and order some that will fit right though. Go out and flex it fully. Stuff it and measure, and droop it all the way and measure. Then order the shock from tellico or whereever else you want to support. Don't use the web, call and talk to them.

Down&Dirty said:
As for the shocks. You could look into getting the shock shifters for the rear or outboarding them with ford shock mounts. Easiest is to probably adjust the bump stop and order some that will fit right though.

actually...instead of the Ford shock mounts or any BPE, I'd look at the Nth Degree Shock Shifters (maybe that's what you were refering to)...

they do away with bar pins, and move the lower mount to a spot that is not very likely to snag on a rock...

Greg

You might need taller bump stops. Your shocks may be bottoming out & taking all of the weight of the jeep instead of the bump stops. :beer:

It's not the lower mount that is having the problem, it is the upper mount. I think I will be ordering bar pin eliminators for the rear shocks. I know I can put these on without help, and will wait until my first trail ride to have some "professionals" look at the bump stops.

Been a while since I posted, so I figured I would post an update.

I did buy the Shock Shifters for the rear-upper shock connection. Of course once I got under the Jeep I found that the bolts for the shocks had broken off in the nuts that are welded to the frame. I have to drill them out and get some heavy duty washers and new bolts.

The next problem(which I would still like suggestions on) was finding a rubber bushing. The kit didn't come with any. I searched 5 different auto parts store and noone sells just rubber bushings that fit the ends of the shocks. I finally just cut the old wishbone mount out of the shock end, and stole the bushing out of that. It was in really bad condition when I finally got them out, but they have seemed to work.

Still looking for help on changing out the 3" body lift for a 1". I have the kit, just afraid to get into the project without a "professional" around.

Email if you are in the Wilmington area and wanta meet up.

Back