4.0L High Output 6cylinder engine

awa0728

How many miles are these engines good for?

I am looking to pick up a 90s era Cherokee and I am wondering how long I can run on that engine before I am looking at replacing it?

I've seen them with 400k on the original motor, then again I've seen people neglect them to the point of being worn out at 90k.

Mines at 207K and still kickin. Needs a new valve guides. Really depends on how well the previous owner took care of it. I've heard of a few hitting 300K.

Gary

my '90 cherokee w/ 4.0 had 180k on it when toitalled, I had treated it like crap for the last 60k at least and it still ran fine, a little low on compression and leaking in rear main seal a bit. Aparently that leaky rear main is pretty common, as is overheating on at least the early cherokees. I know that wasn't technically the HO but basically same motor, rumor is its damn near bulletproof.

my first one had 187000 when i blew it, and the second brand new one i put in it blew at 34000 and now i am on a third in the same jeep with 3000 and its going to blow sooner than later, but hey, still an awesome motor, i guess thats way i keep going back to it

I have 318,xxx on mine right now and she still puts out to five grand. (albeit not as much as new) Only a little smoke on start up. (I think because I don't drive it often enough.) I have another engine waiting to go in over the winter with less miles. ;)

I regularly see 4.0's with 200k+ miles on them at work. I have seen 1 at 350,000 on the original engine.

Change oil, keep them cool, and they will last for quite a while...

MY 89YJ (4.2) has 142,000 and the 94YJ (4.0) has 166,000 Still running great! Has to be one of the best engines made

Got 92,00 on my 1994. It runs great only replaced a water pump and starter so far.

I picked up a 98 XJ with the 4.0 engine with 142k on it last weekend. It looks great and drives great you can't even tell its been around for 142k miles.

1992xj said:
my first one had 187000 when i blew it, and the second brand new one i put in it blew at 34000 and now i am on a third in the same jeep with 3000 and its going to blow sooner than later, but hey, still an awesome motor, i guess thats way i keep going back to it

Dang dude

you might want to change the oil more often or some thing... LOL :D

these motors are bullet proof, I had 207,xxx on my 89 cherokee before getting rid of it, my dad has one in his work van and it has 217,xxx miles on it and runs fine no leaks or anything.

Back