4cyl Propane Help

paradisePWoffrd

Recovering Project Junkie
I finally got my wiring issue figured out, but am running into what I think is a fuel problem...

What I have:
Suzuki 1.6l 8v w/ carb intake
CA100 mixer
JB-2 regulator
VFF30 lockoff

Issue:

It will crank up and run, but will only stay running for a minute or so. If you put your hand over the air intake it will run a little better, but will still cut off. If you give it any throttle at all it will start to rev and then die.

I have tried adjusting the mixture screw on the mixer and timing of the distributor, and it will change the way it runs some, but still dies.

Im not sure what exactly is going wrong. Also if anyone knows if there's a way to adjust the mixture at idle & speed, or is it just the one next to the intake port.

Sounds like a lean fuel issue, just from experience on forklift ca100 and similar setups, it sounds like there might be hole in the diaphram on the mixer. I work on this stuff everyday but it is hard to diagnose online. hollar if ya need some help , im right down the road

Make sure your converter isn't freezing up. that's all I got.

This for starters, but it usually takes several minutes for the regulator to freeze if there isn't heat thru it

Where are you pulling vacuum from to open the lockoff ?

I'm thinking it might be the converter freezing but its not cold to the touch like when the one in my v8 froze.

Also Ive been wondering about the vacuum supply. I'm getting it from a port on the intake. I've tried a number of different ones there with no different results.

Sent from Mobile Command Center

If you have a vacuum pump ( mityvac or the like ) use that to open the lock off, ( you'll also be testing to see if it HOLDS vacuum ) shouldn't need to pull much more that 5" to open the valve, and it should hold open and not leak down.

If the regulator was freezing up, you would see the frost out side long before it closed up on the inside.

I kinda look at the freezing up of the regulator as a fail safe from running low on coolant, not enough coolant flow, and it shuts down, pretty much saving the engine ( I see it happen quite often )

Also, don't rule out the LP tank itself, or the lines from tank, is the coupler at the valve fully seated? Should be no more than 3/16" gap between the coupler and the valve. I see a lot of stacked 'O'rings inside the coupler, which can limit or prohibit flow.

What is your vapor hose made of ? new? if multiple layer construction, it could be collapsing inside ( or have a hole that you may not notice readily ) it could be deteriorated on the inside and a chunk has fallen off and got sucked into the mixer, blocking flow, I've had this happen many times, and it's one of the first things I check for now in a similar run/no run like you are describing.

I will check those things.

Supply hose is new.

Vapor hose is new.

Here is a pic of the setup. Don't mind the wiring, its only temp.

uploadfromtaptalk1330888729536.jpg

http://www.helmarparts.com/product_p/fb-200m-1.htm

your mixer should look like this without the throttle body attached

the port that the LP vapor line connects to, just below is the "load mixture" adjustment, ( CA100 is usually used on 2.2L-3.0L engines )

The fat head screw to the right is your idle mixture.

next question, your tank is full, right ? ( I see this A LEAST once a month )

how is the tank positioned ?

you are using a forklift tank, right ?

Thanks, I will check that stuff.

i just had the tank filled the other week. I can deffinately tell it has fuel in it. Currently it is just sitting beside the vehicle on the floor standing up. I have thought about laying it down, but didnt figure that would matter much until it was almost empty.

33lb forklift tank. I pulled it off my bronco, so I sure that it is good.

How much should the "load mixture" screw be able to turn? 90*?

I can idle fine but it dies when I give throttle.

I tried idling it at speed and if I turn the load screw as far clockwise as possible & it starts to run better but still sputters.

Looking in the vapor port it looks like this is leaning the mixture.

Also if you stab the throttle off idle it will die. If u start at speed & release the throttle it stumbles & won't idle right.

I would say most hoses are between 2 to 5ft long, Still sounds like you have a hole in the diaphram of the mixer. Turning the screw in on the mixer is rich, out is lean, this is only for idle adjustmant though. Underneath the head of the mixer there is apiece that looks like an arrow that is youre adjustmant between rich and lean 7/16 wrench fits it, it may be all the way to lean causing it to die ats the throttle plate is opened. Setting it in the middle is a good starting point.

One last thing, I have seen systems like this resist throttle due to a rich condition , caused by a failing regulator, quick way to check is to pull the vapor hose off of the carb and see if there is a very heavy amount of fuel, it should only have just enough to smell, !.5 to 2 psi approximate, If you feel it is heavy hold the hose about an ich away from the prot to where it goes on the carb, have somone crank it and if it seems to run better you are too rich,( have done this a thousand times, I know it sounds rediculous)

If you feel it is heavy hold the hose about an ich away from the prot to where it goes on the carb, have somone crank it and if it seems to run better you are too rich,( have done this a thousand times, I know it sounds rediculous)

I too do this, I love it when someone has tried and tried to figure out why one won't run, and in less than 30 seconds I have it running ( doing the above ) Toyota Aisin converters are real good for doing this.

Oh, and once you get it running decent, change the spark plugs, it is possible to fuel foul with LP, and it'll fawk you up trying to figure it out. and carry a spare set with you.

I would say most hoses are between 2 to 5ft long, Still sounds like you have a hole in the diaphram of the mixer. Turning the screw in on the mixer is rich, out is lean, this is only for idle adjustmant though. Underneath the head of the mixer there is apiece that looks like an arrow that is youre adjustmant between rich and lean 7/16 wrench fits it, it may be all the way to lean causing it to die ats the throttle plate is opened. Setting it in the middle is a good starting point.

One last thing, I have seen systems like this resist throttle due to a rich condition , caused by a failing regulator, quick way to check is to pull the vapor hose off of the carb and see if there is a very heavy amount of fuel, it should only have just enough to smell, !.5 to 2 psi approximate, If you feel it is heavy hold the hose about an ich away from the prot to where it goes on the carb, have somone crank it and if it seems to run better you are too rich,( have done this a thousand times, I know it sounds rediculous)

I have turned the piece under the head clockwise as far as possible and it runs better there and only there, but still not well at speed... I would love for you to come take a look at it if you ever get a chance and feel like riding up to newton

Oh, and once you get it running decent, change the spark plugs, it is possible to fuel foul with LP, and it'll fawk you up trying to figure it out. and carry a spare set with you.

i pulled one of the plugs and it looks like its been running rich... could be from before though...

you may not see anything abnormal with the plugs if they are fouled by LP, thats part of what screws with you.

plugs are cheap, toss a set in, see if that helps.

I had this happen a few times, no start, or run like crap, check the plugs, crank and check the spark, nice pretty spark kernel, still no change, toss in a fresh set of plugs, boom, it's running starts like there was never anything wrong.

first time this happened to me I'd wasted better part of a day and a lot of aggravation, co-worker told me to change the plugs, I argued with him, he told me do it anyway. fawking thing started right up ( inline 6cyl nissan in a Komatsu lift )

another thing I'll do to reinforce that I'm having a fuel issue, take a half liter water bottle, poke a small hole in the cap, put a few ounces of gasoline in, squirt a little in throttle body, crank it, then squirt a little more as it runs, I've run a few this way, just to verify it was indeed an LP issue ( or lack of ) just be careful doing this

Jason came by today and helped me get it running... turns out it was the distributor. swapped in a carb distributor, and it got it tuned in...

thanks a ton to both you guys for your help

Back