4R100 problems

russ0943

yehaw x10
2000 F250 7.3L 4x4 stock 200k; Trans rebuilt 60k ago.

OD light started flashing on me the other day and the trans went into limp mode, still drivable. The only code was P0741 (Torque Converter Clutch Cir Perf/Stuck Off).

I checked fluid level (fine). Changed fluid via correct procedure. No change.

I dropped the pan and removed the solenoid pack. Tested resistance between pins 1 & 4 with 13ohm (spec 10-20 ohm). Visually inspected wires and connector (fine). Buttoned it back up. No change.

Checked all fuses in cab and under hood with meter (fine).

There was an abundance of metal shavings on the magnet. Probably enough to fill up a coke bottle lid.

What I'm needing to know is: what are my next steps in troubleshooting this?
Symptoms:
When I shift into Gear the trans makes a whining noise. Shifting is fine with possibly a little slip until it goes into limp mode, then shifting becomes noticeably harder with the increased line pressure.

Thanks for the help.

===========================
I posted this on a diesel forum and got reply below. Looking for some added opinions.

*This code means there is converter slip when the PCM is commanding it to be locked. It is not an electrical code. That means there is no electrical problem, so you can eliminate all electrical checks. You won't (didn't!) learn anything doing electrical checks.

There are several things that can cause this problem. Most likely, especially with shavings present, is the torque converter clutch control valve in the valve body is stuck. Also possible are worn seals on the input shaft, or a bad torque converter.

it's going to be the converter. if it is whining the converter has most likely taken a dump.
it is not going to be electrical.
the tcc valve is in the pump and very rarely hangs.
the reason for the code is when the ecu commands tcc apply it doesn't detect rpm drop. the bearing (or thrust washer) in the converter has probably come apart and not allowing the clutch to apply.

Lee, thanks for the reply.

With 60k on the transmission would you suggest rebuilding it while its out? or just replace the converter.
Also, how much does a 4r100 rebuild cost, including all labor to remove and rebuild? (ballpark)

please don't just throw a converter in it.
if there was metal in the pan, there is metal in the trans. if you put a converter in it, it may solve your problem for a short period of time, but once the metal circulates back through the converter when it goes you will end up having to replace it again when it gets rebuilt.

Back