6.5 question

tech701

I'm thinking of buying a dually. It seems like ford and dodges are even in the used market unbelievably priced. Can someone tell me if the Chevys with the 6.5 turbo dsl are any good, and what kind of upgrades with the block were made between it and the 6.2 nonturbo dsl?

6.5 is a better block than the 6.2, I do not know the differances as I've never really gotten them torn down side by side.

late '99-early '00 blocks had an issue with internal web cracking and leaking coolant into the oil, which takes out the cam bearings and valvetrain. odds are if it has more than 70k on the clock it's ok, but still a gamble.

If you can find a truck with les than 120k on the odo, the injection pump (including PMD) is warranted for 120k or 11yrs, so this could be a plus for you.

If you find one that runs well and has been well maintained, you should have a good truck, many run well past the 200k range with little issue, the biggest issue is the injection pump. A NEW pump is $1200 + install. this out of warranty should you need one, it can be rebuilt cheaper.

Kevin

We had some 6.2 trucks where I used to work, when they layed down (which was often) we called it the "6.2 flu". The 6.5 has got to be a vast improvement on that.

I used to work at a chevy dlr and 3 major prolbems with 6.5 L is crankshafts brake after 150 or more miles ,injection pumps go out quite often and valve seats go out or they crack heads I'd buy a power joke or cummins before a 6.5L

tech701 said:
I'm thinking of buying a dually. It seems like ford and dodges are even in the used market unbelievably priced. Can someone tell me if the Chevys with the 6.5 turbo dsl are any good, and what kind of upgrades with the block were made between it and the 6.2 nonturbo dsl?

besides what was mentioned, the 6.5TD was a slug compared to either the Dodge or the Ford... of course, driving that 6.2 right now, you'll think it's a rocket.. :p

I towed with my friend's '97 2wd 6.5, and when I kept it out of O/D, it did OK going from Winston-Salem to the house and back... but just OK.

Still one of the best looking trucks, though...

fjontrailer1.jpg

We have a 6.5 TD at work in the work truck and it sucks!!!! Its always in the shop getting fixed, loud, shifts hard, and for most part, SLOW. I have a 7.3 in my work truck and its great. I love it. 190K miles on it and only had to replace 2 injectors and 1 transmission, and thats on a truck that weights in at over 13K lbs everyday not including what it often tows.

And THE best looking truck

Rob

rockcity said:
We have a 6.5 TD at work in the work truck and it sucks!!!! Its ... loud, shifts hard,

Geez, you'd hate my CTD... :driver: :huggy:

I drove my uncle's 6.5 to tellico and back with my jeep and it sucked!!!
I thought I was going to have a better experience than I did but I was vastly mistaken. I have driven that trip before with my v8 explorer pulling the same load and it easily outpulled the diesel.

I'd save the cash and buy a ford td if you could do it or go with a gas model of equal engine size.

Rich, yeah I'd love your CTD. Actually, I do like them. The dodge looks much better than the chevy and are much better IMO. #1 Ford 7.3/6.0, #2 CTD, #3 6.6, #4 6.5, #5 6.2 #6 350 diesel etc. etc.

You said it's loud (mine sure is), shifts hard (you betcha), etc...

'course, it's loud and shifts hard because I wanted it that way... smooth shifting auto's don't last long, and don't put the power down well IME.

Back