62 Dodge M-37 Fire truck build

marty79

this is my first project at work. 1962 M-37 Firetruck.
axles: 02 Superduty 60 front 4:88 gears, Yukon Detroit locker, high steer arm
rear: 02 sterling 10.5 4:88 geared, Yukon detroit locker,
I did the gearing, first time was an experience lol, but I managed.
SBC 350 mildly built, TH400 with NP205, rebuilt 205 (I rebuilt it too, that was fun).
Used front leafs off the 02 superduty truck, rear had to keep the factory leaf pack due to the massive weight of the tank and all the firetruck accessories. All new brake lines, fuel lines, brakes, the works.
Did a custom roll cage .120 DOM, more for looks and shelving/storage. Found out roll cages/tubing work is my "niche" as I did it pretty good and was pretty quick at it. That was a cool learning experience to build my first roll cage...I like doing tubing work as a favorite now.
Everything is my work that you see, mostly my design with the boss mans input and direction on final outcome. This has been a cool first project for me, I've learned how to do gears, cage, rebuild several NP205s now, learned how to run the CNC table almost good enough.
The biggest thing I've learned in the last 4 months is what I always kinda figured...If I take my time and focus I can do pretty good work, neat, clean, good looking and effective.
M37 shackle with brake pedal.jpg
M37 master cylinder mount.jpg
M37 radiator support.jpg
M37 front end frame.jpg
IMG_20190509_175425678.jpg
M37 rear cage top view.jpg
M37 Roll cage notches.jpg
M37 cage notching like a boss.jpg
M37 NP205 torn apart.jpg
M37 roof cage 2.jpg
M37 steering box mount.jpg
M37 rear cage step 3.jpg

What fire department was using that? Any stock pics?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
they still use it. I didn't get any stock pics, just like i didn't take as many pics as I wanted to during this whole process but soon when cage comes back from powdercoating and start putting it all back together will get more pics of finished product.
I think it's Pumpkin center fire department

Dang John, this is really cool! So glad you found something you love. I'm in the same boat where I am also.
:smokin:
On the tcase, are you doing a full flip on the Chevy 205, or are you adapting a Ford 205? There's adapter kits for that, or I can assist with measurements since I have a few laying around.

Dang John, this is really cool! So glad you found something you love. I'm in the same boat where I am also.
:smokin:
On the tcase, are you doing a full flip on the Chevy 205, or are you adapting a Ford 205? There's adapter kits for that, or I can assist with measurements since I have a few laying around.
we used an adapter to bolt it to the Th400. it's all in, just gotta get driveshafts made and the other guy to finish all the wiring and dash work and she'll be ready to run almost.

my next project is REALLY COOL.. I'm building a buggy!!! ah snap...

since I have a few laying around.
you should give me one of those you have laying around for my rig hehe...with the "john" price though
It's funny my boss gets a laugh out of me the way I'm always going through the scrap stuff for my personal rig LOL. brackets, lights, skid plates and other misc stuff I've taken to make work. I did however cut out some nice brackets on the cnc table to make my removable crossmember not be so "ghetto" HAHA

you should give me one of those you have laying around for my rig hehe...with the "john" price though
It's funny my boss gets a laugh out of me the way I'm always going through the scrap stuff for my personal rig LOL. brackets, lights, skid plates and other misc stuff I've taken to make work. I did however cut out some nice brackets on the cnc table to make my removable crossmember not be so "ghetto" HAHA
How about a trade straight across. Find me a set of 16.5 8 lug wheels and we'll meet in the middle.

How about a trade straight across. Find me a set of 16.5 8 lug wheels and we'll meet in the middle.
My rims are 16.5 x 12 8x170 aluminum, is that what you're looking for

My rims are 16.5 x 12 8x170 aluminum, is that what you're looking for
I redrilled my 99-04 hubs to 8 on 6.5, so I'm looking only for the old style 8 lug.

I was thinking Pumpkin Center was Blue, but had no idea it could be theirs. Guess their Upgrading it? I see the tank gauge. My experience, they don't work long; least the one we had didn't. Figured it was a rust buildup.
Glad your Happy in your job [where ever it is], as I haven't heard much from you, for some time! :)

Is there an access panel above the master cylinder so that it can be filled?

Yep. All m37s have the master mounted down there. There’s a little cover on the floor pan that comes off and exposes the top of the master.

This truck is rad @marty79

Got roll cage back and installed. Lights mounted and all the little hooks for their tools.
IMG_20190821_130559274.jpg
IMG_20190821_130552011.jpg
IMG_20190821_130545101.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190821_130539471.jpg
    IMG_20190821_130539471.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 186
Looks great, But I think the FD needs to rethink the tire they are using.
"Got Interco's all the way around. Iroks on the rear and Trailer Tracs on the front."

I'll have to visit Pumpkin Cnt., when they get it back! As for tires, the last Brush truck I dealt with, was a mid 80s F-350. We ran 33x12.50 x 16, Ground Hawgs, on 10" steel rims. For the most part, we stayed on reasonable ground, like fields, forest, & dirt paths. Did have to get pulled a couple times, but the 10K Warn, handled that!

Here was our 59, F250, T-18 4x4, 292 cu in. 350 gal. water tank, & later had a 8274 winch added to custom 2x6 front bumper. I think This truck retained the 7.50 x 16 Goodyear MT, of the time. Wish I had pictures of other trucks, like the mid 80 s F-350! FWIW, 1959, was Ford's First Factory 4x4.

Attachments

• Scan0017.jpg
    Scan0017.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 240
I have nothing against IROC's, they have their place. But with the weight of the truck, but mainly the fact that Brush Trucks do not always get to drive on the beaten path, I think a heavier duty tire would be more the ticket..

I have nothing against IROC's, they have their place. But with the weight of the truck, but mainly the fact that Brush Trucks do not always get to drive on the beaten path, I think a heavier duty tire would be more the ticket..
yeah I thought the same thing. these are Load Range C that's A LOT of weight in the back especially for them. We did mock up some 40s on it for fun while back and they made the truck look so much cooler.

Some load range E Cooper STT Pros might be a good upgrade for the weight

I had a delivery right down the road that the Pumpkin Center FD, is on. Thought I'd stop & see if I could get a Look, at the Brush truck Marty was working on....................... Really? Recon the Shop Can't finish it, without Marty? :popcorn:

Attachments

• IMG_20190925_110440690.jpg
    IMG_20190925_110440690.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 199
I had a delivery right down the road that the Pumpkin Center FD, is on. Thought I'd stop & see if I could get a Look, at the Brush truck Marty was working on....................... Really? Recon the Shop Can't finish it, without Marty? :popcorn:
lol. sorry dude, I left several weeks ago. My part was done. The interior is what was left on it. I'm actually craving to see the finished interior..it was looking pretty sweet in it's fab stages from the guy working on it. You'll have to wait and go check it out when done (surely that'll be soon)

Back