$6200 away from a nice tow rig

BIGWOODY

Fly to Fort Worth to pick up an 01' 3500,quad cab, CTD H.O., 6 spd. That I bought against my better judgement off of Ebay. When I arrived at the airport the truck dealer picked me up in my truck. Seemed exactly as described no surprises (yet). I bought it for about 4 grand less than loan value and way cheaper than any I could find anywhere close to home. I signed some papers at the dealership and was on my way back to NC. 500 miles into my return trip I noticed oil film down the drivers side of the truck. I stopped , checked it out and excessive blow by coming from the engine vent tube was the problem. Freaking great, I thought, I fly 1200 miles to buy a turd that needed a motor. I called the dealer on Saturday and he said he would take care of whatever the problem was or I could stop where I was (Birmingham) and he'd buy my plane ticket home, return my cash, and pick up the truck. I really liked this truck even with a messed up motor I was getting around 22mpg. Driving back (6spd. and 3.55 axle are nice). I arrived home last Sunday and took the truck to Cummins Atlantic in Greensboro for a diagnosis of the problem. They removed the head and saw that the #1 and #6 cylinders were scored and the motor would have to come out. Turns out the previous owner had a programmer with the fuel/boost turned up with no EGT gauge and did some piston melting. Long story short, They are boring all the cylinders and replacing all the pistons at the dealers expense. So I may have to wait a week or so to enjoy my new truck , but I'll end up with a virtually new motor for minimal trouble. Big props to the truck dealer in Texas for taking care of the problem, he really wasn't obligated to. T.O. motors on ebay, if you are looking for a truck this guy is alright by me. Cummins said the bill would be around $6200, the dealer lost money , but I'm sure we'll do business with him again.

Thats scary-I need to get some gauges!!!!!! Glad to hear its workin out for ya though. :beer:

So you got a new rig, nice - now lets see some pics. That sucks that happened but some outstanding customer support. $6200 isnt a bad price either, normally on a diesel expect to pay about $1000 per cylinder for a rebuild plus misc crap. Tell them you want it .20 over with low compression pistons and head studs ;) Then we'll pump up boost a bit with some garrett ball bearing twins.

hell yeah. that could have gone really bad!

Greg,

I have made two trips to the Dallas area buying similar trucks, they are always cheaper down there. I'm glad everything worked out for you! You got a great deal

RD

That is a real stand-up guy, and I'd MUCH rather have Cummins fix it than having the dealer "Have a shop fix it", since as you know, they always do the cheap way.. (like on mine, not removing the old oil seal before pounding a new one on.. :rolleyes:

Nice truck, new engine, good price.. Awesome!

StudNuts said:
So you got a new rig, nice - now lets see some pics..
ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d21_gmanstone1_3b_4.jpg

DAMN, thats a real "FEAR NO DEAR" bumper. Can you put a winch on that bad boy-you may need it sometime:flipoff2:

And welcome to the Silver Dodge CTD Owners Club:lol: Lookin good man, So seriously what mods do you have planned for it. I'm sure you'll have some gauges for it!
Clear your PM box.

Edge comp, 5" exhaust, gauges, Twins when my buggy gets out of my wallet. I decided to get the block/head O-ringed for big power down the road.

Dam that looks like the bumper on Rich's truck.
Nice truck

I bought mine in TX also but it was wrecked so I new what I was getting.

Nice.

I did the same thing. Went to Chicago to get my truck. I've had my fingers crossed since...

no problems yet.

Glad it worked out for you.

Rob

Sweet truck Greg. I had to pick myself back up when i read that the dealer agreed to flit the bill for the rebuild.

Is this one going to be "dual-fuel" capable?

That is one awesome dealer!
Ive always swore Id never buy a ride on ebay, but from this guy, I may reconsider!

BTW props on a sweet rig at one hell of a price

I love it...pulls like nothing I've ever had and the fuel milage is the poo. It'l pull Black Mountain in 6th at 85mph towing. Yes, I know that's illeagal and all that. I also like the fact that the 2wd seems to drive and ride a lot better than the 4wd. I won't be looking for another truck for a long time.

That one not only has the front ranch hand bumper..but the big hoopty rear one as well...lol

That dealer is the most straight shooter I've ever delt with. If you are serious about it, I would get it with no concerns.

yeah it pulled black mountain slightly faster than the yukon....i only had a mile head start and still got beat to the top. damn diesel motors...

pheery said:
yeah it pulled black mountain slightly faster than the yukon....i only had a mile head start and still got beat to the top. damn diesel motors...

But, you got the ok to go in debt.

Back