7.3 EGT temps and engine damage

1-tonmudder

Doin my part to stir the pot.
I was pulling a long grade last w/e w a loaded trailer and was keepin an eye on the pyrometer and it brought a couple of questions to mind.
At what temp and period of time at that temp can you expect engine dmage to happen/start,in other words if I pull at 1400 degrees for say 2/3 mins is that to much heat for a piston to take and lead to damage.

I have my EGT probe in the ps side manifold on my 7.3 at the collector,how much drop in the temp reading occurs between the cylinder and the probe,200/300 degress?

What is considered a safe temp and how long can you could you flash past that temp and still be safe.I try to stay under 1200 but sometimes if Im about over the hill Ill ride it just a lil.

International says 1250°F max sustained. You can hit 1300-1400° but I wouldn't do for more than a min. Are you stock or tuned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tuned w 6 pos dp tuner,no cat,stright pipe,big filter and a Jim woods valve body in the 4r100.I tow in a 50 horse tow setting.My truck will only boost about 15psi due to leaking up pipes but I have bellowed pipes to go on it.I feel that the up pipe situation don't help w the EGT's either.

1400 is max short term temp. So for less than a minute maybe, but not 2-3 minutes. At that high a temp you are cooking everything around the combustion chamber which leads to more blowby. It takes much more to melt a piston, but I wouldn't risk it.

Back