7.3 sound and fury

ramjo

1997 F350 with a 7.3...5-speed. It supposedly has 18x,xxx mile on motor. Truck has 285,xxx on it. I've had it probably 5 years and it's always seemed like it takes about 10-15 miles of driving before it runs decent. It feels like it's only getting 70ish % of the fuel it should....rpms go up and it makes the noises but it's very anemic. Once you hit the 10-15 mile range, I can feel it smooth out running and actually have some power to accelerate somewhat. Any ideas as to where should I be looking (besides the car lot for a new truck).........:p

Have a way to read icp? Easy to do the dummy test on it. Check oil level and fuel filter too.

What everyone else said, I also like to run a can of diesel purge through the pump of any "new to me" diesel....It is supposed to be like seafoam, but for a diesel. You run the engine directly off the can and loop your fuel intake/return lines together.

Diesel Purge

You ever change the fuel filters?

It's been awhile.

Have a way to read icp? Easy to do the dummy test on it. Check oil level and fuel filter too.

No way to read it.....i replaced it a couple years ago with a cheapo autoparts store brand. I'll pull the plug and check for oil on it and see if it changes idle. I'm usually low on oil as she leaks around the oil filter and I can't get it to stop.

$20 wireless OBD2 reader and an app on your cell phone will be able to tell you a whole lot about your truck and how it’s running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone you recommend or just whatever Amazon has? Do they do more than just read codes?

I use this reader

Bafx Products Wireless WiFi OBD2 / OBDII Code Reader & Scanner for iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad) Read & Clear Your Check Engine Light & More! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078K54MT5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VTwjFb6W914FC

I also use the FORScan app on my phone, I got it when it was free but I think it’s a couple of bucks now. It’ll tell you pretty much anything you want to know. It’ll even let you buzz test the injectors and clear codes etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got around to pulling the icp connector off. Oil on it and no change in idle when I disconnected it. Guess I'm looking for the best deal on a motor craft replacement now...

I guess she got tired of me calling her anemic. Dropped about 200 rpms sitting at at a red light today and lost pretty much all power. Oil level is good...put a new icp in with no change.

Sticky EBPV.

Guess I need to check that out ...would a stopped up convertor do this too?

Unplug the EBPV and see if it quits losing power. The EBPV shouldn't cause it to drop RPMs idling though. A stopped up cat wouldn't clear up after 10 or 15 minutes. Does it act like it's misfiring during that 10-15 minutes? At this point, you need to monitor HPOP, IPR %, and do an injector buzz test. If you don't do that, you're just going to be throwing parts at it. If it's misfiring for that initial 10-15, I'm leaning toward an injector sticking, or a sticky IPR. Valve cover harnesses, and anything else electrical for that matter, usually get worse with time and temp, where mechanical injector issues tend to go away with time and temp. Shoot me a text if you need any help or info with it. I'm in Asheville. Adam 828-691-5196. If you text me or call me on Sunday I'm not going to answer until Monday though, just so you know.

Unplug the EBPV and see if it quits losing power. The EBPV shouldn't cause it to drop RPMs idling though. A stopped up cat wouldn't clear up after 10 or 15 minutes. Does it act like it's misfiring during that 10-15 minutes? At this point, you need to monitor HPOP, IPR %, and do an injector buzz test. If you don't do that, you're just going to be throwing parts at it. If it's misfiring for that initial 10-15, I'm leaning toward an injector sticking, or a sticky IPR. Valve cover harnesses, and anything else electrical for that matter, usually get worse with time and temp, where mechanical injector issues tend to go away with time and temp. Shoot me a text if you need any help or info with it. I'm in Asheville. Adam 828-691-5196. If you text me or call me on Sunday I'm not going to answer until Monday though, just so you know.

Thanks....I went ahead and changed oil,fuel filter and cleaned FPR screen cause it was due. It'll start and rough idle around 5-700, but that's about all it will do, definitely not getting fuel. Veryyyyy slow response to any pedal input....probably won't tach over 2000 and it's probably 15-20 second to get to that. Ive got a boy down here that might be able to check that stuff for me just need to get a hold of him.

Edit: Also it's a hard start but I unplug new parts store ICP and it will crank. That mean ICP junk?

Last edited:
Thanks....I went ahead and changed oil,fuel filter and cleaned FPR screen cause it was due. It'll start and rough idle around 5-700, but that's about all it will do, definitely not getting fuel. Veryyyyy slow response to any pedal input....probably won't tach over 2000 and it's probably 15-20 second to get to that. Ive got a boy down here that might be able to check that stuff for me just need to get a hold of him.

Edit: Also it's a hard start but I unplug new parts store ICP and it will crank. That mean ICP junk?
Give me a call when you get a chance. 828-691-5196.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Update: @Hurdt299 , I had a boy come check it out at the house last week. Buzz test confirmed only 4 injector were working. He swapped out The UVCH for me and cleaned up somebodys previous wiring for the connectors. Also have an injector sticking which is the 10-15 minute delay I was initially feeling in lack of power. He suggested run a gallon of HotShot in the oil to help the injector.....glad to be back on the road. I was getting tired of trying to haul tools and material with my Jeep.

Last edited:
I have used rotella t6 5w40 and archoil with great results regarding the oil system on 7.3s. Worth a try

Back