7.3l fuel rail crossover problems

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
Problem on my tow pig...2000 7.3l Superduty. Cranked it up this morning to go help out at the hometown VFD BBQ and smelled fuel from the start (literally). Opened the door and could hear fuel hitting the driveway so I shut it down. Culprit was a split fuel rail crossover (FRx) line on the driver's side head. Pulled up the manufacturer site and they now recommend putting wire loom over the hoses to prevent chafing...I don't remember that being there originally, but its been over a decade so who knows? Anyway, I pulled the bad hose and I've spent half the day chasing down parts with no hope. I was able to find a 1/8"npt plug to plug the FRx housing and a 1/4" flare fitting cap fits the JIC adapter on the test port, both were installed with fuel safe thread sealant to cure overnight. I know there are people on here a lot smarter than me so here goes:
Is it safe to run with the FRx on the passenger side, but the test port plugged on the driver side? I'm assuming yes, but I'm no diesel wizard.
If that 'fixes' the leak, how long would you trust it? Just enough to move it out of the way or until replacement hoses arrive?

Thanks,
Brandon

I’m assuming you’re running something like riffraff diesel frx crossover kit. If that’s what you have it should be fine to run it like you have it cause you are just running it like a stock step up now. For long term I would either replace that line or return it to the factory step up, just my opinion, but should be fine to run it capped off. A picture of how you have things would help to confirm.

@RoosterRash you are correct. When I primed it today it didn't leak. I've just got to decide if I trust it to drive ~150 miles to my house or do I borrow my dad's truck this week...either way hoses will be ordered tonight, just have decide where to ship them.
Pics of the housing plug & cap on the test port:
Resized_20231015_140912.jpeg Resized_20231015_140922.jpeg

Watched it while running and didn't see it leak, but couldn't help but think the passenger side might be a few miles from springing a leak...so I opted for the safe route and borrowed dad's truck. Replacement hoses have been ordered and the new ones have a sheath on them already, but I'm still going to add a wire loom and inspect them every 10k miles.

Back