700r4 gears in a th350

Jeff B

Thanos was right
I dont understand the point?
You want the deeper first but not the OD?

Ya, don't need the hyw speeds.

Travis Watford had Cooks Transmission in Cowpens, SC install these gears in his before the Reno race.....maybe he'll chime in.

it can be done but there is things they don't tell you. how to set the end play after doing it.
what transfer case are you running?
are you running a doubler?
i would think it would be easier to get a lower ratio by gear reduction in the t-case instead of the tranny.
do you think you are going to notice the .54 difference in ratio's ?
i think the reason this isn't common practice is because it creates a dead spot in the ratio's when it shifts.
as far as strength, i can honestly say i have replaced thousands of 700 low/reverse planets, 350 planets rarely go bad.

it can be done but there is things they don't tell you. how to set the end play after doing it.
what transfer case are you running?
are you running a doubler?
i would think it would be easier to get a lower ratio by gear reduction in the t-case instead of the tranny.
do you think you are going to notice the .54 difference in ratio's ?
i think the reason this isn't common practice is because it creates a dead spot in the ratio's when it shifts.
as far as strength, i can honestly say i have replaced thousands of 700 low/reverse planets, 350 planets rarely go bad.

this is for an upcomming build, still gathering parts. Still deciding on the platform.

So, either a 203/d300 or 203/205 depending on vehicle size.

I don't know if I'll notice the difference in an auto. I've never ran one in a 4x4 off road. Always been a manual.

Thanks for the response...

I have this set up in my th350, using 700 sprag, 1st gear, Allison torque converter behind lt1, mated to atlas 3.8. Using tci heavy clutches and art carr rev man valve body with compression braking in first and second gear. Love this setup, works great on downhills,(almost stalls engine) and nothing like a full throttle 1-2 shift; kicks ass.400 miles off road this season n a 5700 lb yj.

sent from HTC Droid on tapatalk

And believe or not you can tell diff n first gear due to the multiplying factor of torque conv.

horse hockey. don't mean to sound like an ass, but what in the hell are you talking about.
the converter makes no difference except for stall speed. once the sprag is engaged (in the converter) it knows nothing about what gear it's in.

Well u do sound like an ass.
See- www.tciauto.com

And I quote__"- a torque converter is a fluid coupling device that also acts as a torque multiplier during initial acceleration."

...which is exactly where crawlers use and need that MULTIPLICATION!

I don't know your experience level with transmissions, I'm positive more than mine, but I'm quite positive TCI built a million more or so than you.
Thanks.

Good discussion guys, learning a bunch.
I read that there is a 4 pin planetary & a five pin which would be stronger.
Which did you replace more of?
What year models should I be looking for?

the five pinion planet is very good, almost never replaced unless something else has damaged it.
if you need to order parts let me know and i can help you out.

as far as tci building a million more than me, you are right. but i bet i've fixed more of their pieces of shit than they have.
if you want to spend $750 on a converter that's fine with me. if you want to lend me $100,000 i will buy all the machines to build the converters and i will build some really good ones.

as far as me sounding like an ass, i told you i wasn't trying to. if you want to debate this we will and you will lose.

you were right to an extent, it is a torque multiplier. it is a torque multiplier the same way as a clutch on a manual, only with a fluid coupling.
the converter is not creating power, it is creating slip. the slip is created in order to let the converter lock at the point where the engine is creating its power. otherwise every time you stopped the vehicle it would shut the engine off.(just like a manual)

i'm not here to hijack his thread. i have been in the transmission business for over 20 years, i have been building transmissions for 15+ years. i have had my own shop for going on 8 years come thanksgiving.
i have a converter cut open at the shop, any time you would like to see how one works, feel free to come by the shop and i will show you.

Good discussion guys, learning a bunch.
I read that there is a 4 pin planetary & a five pin which would be stronger.
Which did you replace more of?
What year models should I be looking for?

the five pinion planet is very good, almost never replaced unless something else has damaged it.
as far as tci building a million more than me, you are right. but i bet i've fixed more of their pieces of shit than they have.
if you want to spend $750 on a converter that's fine with me. if you want to lend me $100,000 i will buy all the machines to build the converters and i will build some really good ones.
as far as me sounding like an ass, i told you i wasn't trying to. if you want to debate this we will and you will lose.
you were right to an extent, it is a torque multiplier. it is a torque multiplier the same way as a clutch on a manual, only with a fluid coupling.
the converter is not creating power, it is creating slip. the slip is created in order to let the converter lock at the point where the engine is creating its power. otherwise every time you stopped the vehicle it would shut the engine off.(just like a manual)
i'm not here to hijack his thread. i have been in the transmission business for over 20 years, i have been building transmissions for 15+ years. i have had my own shop for going on 8 years come thanksgiving.
i have a converter cut open at the shop, any time you would like to see how one works, feel free to come by the shop and i will show you.

With this amount of experience you have the capability to answer my questions.

May even drive up to drop my tranny off to you when it comes time to throw it together.

Thanks...

Again, sorry for the hijjack JohnB.
Transman i'm sure you are a very talented transmission builder, as i said before i'm sure you are more versed than me, thats not in dispute. But i was under the impression that these chat boards were for people of like interests to discuss and share there experience and advice. All i did was give my experience, of which you threw out the "horse hockey", but now you say there was some truth to what i stated. It would have been much more sensible to have just said that in the beginning. And in my first reply i only qouted a definition; not say you were wrong. This is the same thing that is wrong with the pirate board, as we are all aware.

have a nice day.

i have to agree with mcutler...until the TC builds up enough pressure to get the turbine spinning, its pretty much torque X. Which is where stall converters come into play, to raise that pressure to prevent turbine from spinning until you reach desired rpms/pressure, giving you more torque in lower gears. The internals of a TC are very interesting, and if you havnt seen them i would definetly check it out.

as for the 700 gears... what transman said, it would be interesting trying to get rear endplay correct with swapping the planetary carriers. if anything, you would need one big ass selective thrust washer. There might be a reason why you dont hear about this being done too often...probabally dont notice that much of a difference. if it were me, i would spend the money on a stall converter. ive never had problems with TCI, but transman you have been in the buisness almost longer then ive been alive so youve dealt with them more.just my .02

sorry again for the hijack.

mcutler, as i said,i wasn't trying to sound like an ass.
sometimes i can't put into words the way i want to say things.
after all i build transmissions, i wasn't an english major.

i was not trying to put anyone down or hurt anyone's feelings.
all i was tring to say is be careful what you read. tci will fill your head with all kinds of crap. they build the 10(est) easiest trannies with shit that is "high performance" and is no different that any other builder who is good. then they only warranty their junk for 90 days and charge outrageous prices.

as far as your trans jeff, there is only 1 thing i will need to check on as far as the changeover of the geartrain.
weren't you going to build this yourself?

Reading what you fellas are discussing I'm probably going to pay somebody. How about pm'ing me a labor quote to rebuild & install the 5 pin planetary. Along with the cost of the planetary.

Travis Watford had Cooks Transmission in Cowpens, SC install these gears in his before the Reno race.....maybe he'll chime in.
Yes, I had a 350 built with a 700 1st gear. I understand there was some machining involved. Don't have a clue beyond that, I handed them my money and picked up my trans. The lower first gear is nice, but there is more of a gap between 1st and 2nd now. I have to really wind out 1st in high range, before shifting to 2nd. While racing, I spend a lot of time in 1st gear, high range. With the lower 1st gearing, it seems to help the trans run cooler.

i sat down this morning going over what need to be done. the only thing i haven't figured out is how they got the 700 sungear to work in the 350 sunshell.

Would the outer ring not need to be installed too?

Back