77 CJ7 Raleigh Engine Swap and more

Krispy

Looking for a shop that can swap my 304 with an LS. I also need Power Steering installed.

I assume this will be a big project. I have the 3 speed manual and that needs to go as well. I'm not sure if the differentials and transfer case can handle the LS so that may also need to be replaced.

The whole thing probably needs going through.

Please let me know if you can recommend a reputable shop that can handle this.

Thank you,

There are a few shops around but your talking a easy 10 to 15k depending in what parts you have already just fyi

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was hoping the shop would have a source for good used or rebuilt components. I see a lot of Engine/Trans combinations on Ebay for 5-7k for example. I would assume most of the current drive components would need to be beefed up or replaced to handle the LS HP. Plus Power Steering, I am prepared to pay but really want to find a quality shop that can make all of this happen. I have built several hot rods but work is overwhelming at the moment and I have way too much stuff in my garage to take on another project. The current 304 runs decent but hot and has vapor locked on me a couple of times. I installed an aluminum radiator and an auxiliary fan and it hasn't vapor locked since but feels really hot. The only thing left is to install a high flow thermostat and pump but I am at the point of just scrapping this engine and installing something reliable.

I've had heating problems with my 79 CJ, 304, for years, on the Trails. Could never figure if it was air flow, or water flow. Heat problem had seemed to lessen, but I went ahead & bought the Flow Cooler water pump. I can tell That Pump has made a Big difference! No heating problems on Highway or Trail, now, & running stock radiator, shroud, fixed fan blade, & 180 F. thermostat. You can buy the Plate that seals up the vein on the water pump, but I felt more confident in buying the Complete pump.

Thanks for the reply Rodney. I may give that a try but at the moment I think I am set on making the conversion if I can find a good shop near Raleigh.

Orange150. Thanks for the response. I did find Novak in my search. That is over the top pricing in my opinion. When I build that out I am in the $15k range for Engine/Trans alone. I see on ebay LS1's with the 4L60E for around $5k. I was hoping a local shop could take on this project for a more reasonable price.

Buy a wrecked Tahoe/suburban/truck for 2k with the drivetrain you want, take it all out..with all wiring and computers. Then call around to shops to rebuild your components and swap in. It's been done thousands of times, all the parts and adapters you need are readily available.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back